• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Late night WVO nightmare!!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You may have seen in my 923 truck post that we loaded a 55 gallon drum of WVO in the back the other day. I am taking it to Bjorn at Aberdeen. It is in a plastic drum with a latching lid. My brother and I sat it on a pallet and strapped it down with 4 ratchet straps. It has been riding just fine and hasn't moved around at all during my test drives.

Last night I went out for a test drive around 22:15. I have been trying to log as many miles as possible before the convoy to shake out any bugs. The truck was running great last night. 60 mph was no problem on the 4-lane. I cruised around for about 30-40 minutes and then returned home. When I was turning around in the driveway so I could back the truck onto the parking pad, I noticed some very shiny puddles in the gravel as well as a shiny trail leading into the driveway. My first thought was that the oil pan plug fell out and that the engine was getting ready to seize up. It still had great oil pressure so I parked it quickly to investigate.

A quick tour of the back of the truck with a flashlight revealed that the drum had popped its straps, slipped off the pallet, banged against the bedside, popped the lid off and began to spew fish-stick smelling WVO all over the bed and its contents! :evil: Holy heck what a stinkin mess. I had to drive about 2-3 miles back through town in my ford to find the lid off the barrel. I spent the next hour trying to wash the crap out of the back with a mix of car wash soap and dish detergent. That really didn't do much, but I had to try because the dog came in the house with WVO all over her head. Arggghh!

So, what would be a good detergent or other solution to get this crap off of my truck?! Simple green? Purple Power? Gunk engine cleaner?

I have to do something because I need to paint the tailgate and I think I saw some vultures circling the house this morning :roll:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh man! What a mess, I can just imagine, don't know what to say.
Add some lye and methanol?

My plans for Aberdeen are not as far progressed as yours Chris, perhaps you are better off leaving the WVO at your house and let me pick it up there.
Currently I plan to arrive on Saturday and to leave Sunday morning. Either way I can drive by your place on the way back and cut across to Hwy 58 going West afterwards.

I'm way behind in getting ready, including non MV related things.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
HA HA HA. I can see you in the ECC - driving down the road and everything around smells like Capt. Gordons. rofl

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey Bjorn, I thought about spraying on some oven cleaner, but I'd need about 10 cans and would probably poison the local water supply. I am thinking either the bio-safe Gunk or the Bio-degradable Simple Green. I will go ahead and set the barrel out of the truck at my house or at the office if I can borrow my business neighbor's forklift again.

If the rest of that crap doesn't come out with another bath, I may rent a Hotsy steam jenny.

Thanks for the sympathy Mike, et al ;)

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That really didn't do much, but I had to try because the dog came in the house with WVO all over her head. Arggghh!
Sorry Brother - Yikes, sounds like it is a bigger mess in the daylight than it was last night aua There has to be a gasket missing on that barrel as we still use that style here at the plant and they don't leak - the men might have lost it when it was down at church for the fish fry. Got any friends at the paper mill?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
It was definitely a mess Chad. I did manage to wrestle that greasy pig back on the pallet after I got the lid secured. I'm guessing there is a rubber gasket too. I think that little lock that secures the big latch came loose which allowed the latch to pop open on impact.

I may pick up a jumbo jug of Dawn after work and slather the whole thing in it. If we had a truck wash around here I would use that because the $0.25 car wash doesn't have big enough bays.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
nickd said:
Is all this mess and time worth the savings?
I haven't done the Bio-Diesel or WVO thing before. It just so happened that my brother had a 55 gallon drum of fry oil at his church they wanted rid of so I was taking it to Bjorn.

This was just a fluke. Not the typical experience by far according to those I have talked to :lol:

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Chris - make sure you set the clamp ring so the lock tab goes down. They can be bent over or secured with a seal too.

Note to self: Use only closed head drums for waste veggie oil in the future - open head drums may leak and cause everything to smell like fried fish and hush puppies :wink:

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Oldvw2 said:
Hey Chris - make sure you set the clamp ring so the lock tab goes down. They can be bent over or secured with a seal too.

Note to self: Use only closed head drums for waste veggie oil in the future - open head drums may leak and cause everything to smell like fried fish and hush puppies :wink:
Ha! I need to flip the ring since the little tab-thing-a-ma-jigger won't stay up. It was after midnight when I put it back on and I wasn't thinking too clearly :wink:

To quote Smokey and the Bandit: "I want some hush puppies Daddy" "We ain't got time for that $%#@ Junior!!"

dmetalmiki

Scuse folks..I have a ready souce!(scuze the pun!)of used .v.o. BUT here in U.K. you are SUPPOSED!? to ring/write to the vat tax customs and exise and ASK!! them to accept a TAX PAYMENT..whats the form over there..?

pa.rich

Lots of floor absorbant , let it soak up scrape it out, and then hotsy it before the bears arrive and lick the truck clean. Gee, with friends like us you dont need enemies Chris. I guess it could have been worse: I can see the local headline in the paper : Large barrel of grease causes record amount of accident as it rolls off truck and greases the entire road! News at Eleven!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks