• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

deuce s-cam brakes

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an aftermarket company that has striaght air brakes for the deuce. My memory is a little foggy but $6000 rings a bell. At that price I'm just going to carry a big sack of tethered deployable anvils.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO the standard brakes on the deuce are just fine if maintained. It is possible to improve performance by drilling holes in the drum for better cooling and to let water out (another one of those ideas by yours truly that had already been tried years before).

Air brakes require a very good air supply including an air dryer and alcohol evaporator.

"Mil Spec" used to mean that the equipment had to work down to -55 deg. The deuce was built to mil spec., but that was 50 years ago.
These days there are a lot of compromises in this area just to be able to use commercial innovations. I don't think the CTIS on the Humvee's, FMTV's and other vehicles is really built to work much below 0 deg F even. I think I read that in a manual somewhere.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed! Deuce brakes do exactly what they were designed for. Properly maintiand brakes on a deuce are very adequate when operated as they were designed. All of the trailers designed for use with the deuce have their own braking system so take that into account if you are going to tow something without brakes (like another deuce.)

Dieselsmoke

I whole heartedly agree, the deuce brakes are fine. The problem I've run into is that nobody, especially the GIs have been willing to take the time to properly adjust them. One of my trucks had brande new shoes but didn't stop worth a dang. The problem, the weren't adjusted right and were only contacting one edge of the shoe! Hope they don't fix their rigs like that when they take them into a combat zone :nono:

DUUANE

i have no doubt that when adjusted and functioning normally the stock brakes are ok.however when the system malfunctions,all you have is the prop shaft brake to save you(most likely someone else).i'm not a big fan of those.in the back country around here you'd die for sure if you ripped out a hose with a load on the truck.i could see $1000 an axle.maybe a grand in valves and tanks.$6000 sounds like a gouge.i'd sure like to have a list of parts #'s.or even the donor application.it'd be great to plumb a deuce with the L75 off road air system,modulated spring brake emergency setup.if it could be done at a reasonable cost as compared with just getting more truck and going with a 8 or 900 series truck from the start.

for me it would be a mod that would pay dividends every time i went to full fuel.

but thats just me.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want to improve your brakes without spending $6000 I'll try to get the exact system that Millenium Reo (Tom Bauer) used. He uses a regular air valve to apply the brakes instead of a master cylinder and has a split system with two airpacks and 3 tanks with a redundant series of check valves. Similiar to the brake system on a C-60. I know it's deadly effective and has many safety features. Also, the latest deuces have the split brake system with 2 airpacks and even has a brake warning light on the dash. Might have the manual for that around here.

spicergear

If you guys wanna improve braking, why not go over to disc brakes if the drums aren't to your liking. Isuzu has a rotor and ...crap, for get the other one...anyway...there are a couple of rotors that will work. It's not a cheap conversion, but hellish cheaper than $6000. Might be $800-$1000 per axle. The link show a pic from the Stazworks shop. Good stuff.
http://www.stazworks.com/axels.html

mrwildman1

i think the knuckle boom with an old 6-71 block on it would slow ya down when it was lowered, but i think the dpw wouldent like the damage it would do ... :confused:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bigger issue isn't the effectiveness of the drums but the single circuit brake system. One ruptured line anywhere on the truck and you got no brakes.

DUUANE

MY POINT EXACTLY...the other issue for me is release time.the air from a brake chamber can be dumped right away to atmosphere,whereas brake fluid is limited by the brake shoe pullback springs versus the orifice effect created by fluid returning to the master cylinder(s).the double chamber air-pak setup sounds cool.but my first choice would still be full air.
1/4 of a second is like a lifetime when you're sliding sideways in icy conditions.

so much nicer to work on too.

so who knows the donor application?
:alien:

rdixiemiller

I just realized that the Milennium Reo is on E-Bay!!
I wonder if he'll get his asking price? he sure put a lot of time and effort, not to mention $$$, making one Heck of a Deuce!!
I like the dual braking setup, looks like he used all stock components.

spicergear

I like that 6253B tranny in there. If I was staying with small tires (NDT's) I'd be looking for another trans with more od. The big XL singles I'll be going to will give me 9mph more. Split brakes would be nice...seeings how I already lost them from a front one getting pinched.

hot rod deuce

how about hydro-boost? like on 1 ton+ chevys and the lighter grain trucks like a C-60. its along the same lines as vacume boost like a normal pick-up truck but it uses the power steering pump for boost rather than air or vacume. i have the unit that came on the bus that i took my cummins out of, it even has a back up electric motor if you lose oil press. and that was like a 2 ton chassis. toyed with putting that on because it has the dual m/c but decided to wait and see what happens. The stock brakes will slide all 6 16.00's so i see no point for more power like you guys said. as far as saftey i was going to put an air disk on the pinion front and rear and just activate it with a johnson bar. plus you would have 6.72 times more braking power than at the wheels....I guess a guy could wind up with too much and be the only one to break parts with the brakes.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pinion brakes are nice, but like the handbrake, they operate via the diffs and should not be used if traction is questionable... If one side loses traction that wheel begins to spin in the opposite direction and the result is zero braking power. Of course, with lockers it wouldn't happen. It could still be a bit tricky worrying about locking the differentials and braking at the same time.:)

Trango

Also, pinion brakes will get thermite hot trying to repeatedly stop something in the 13k lb range, even if you are running 2 per axle. Seriously.

Bob

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks