• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Deuce and Load Out Advice

co_rotorhead

Looks like I am now the proud owner of a 1971 Deuce! The truck is located at Camp Ripley, MN. Expecting the EUC early to mid June (about 45+ days from the GL auction close). Far as I know it runs, but by EUC time, the batteries may be dead.

I could use some advice/help with the load out and tranport to Denver, CO - specifically, the ins and outs of selecting a trucker and or broker. I'm painfully aware of the potential cost and would naturally like to keep it as low as possible - any recommendations? The other thing is that I would consider driving it. The truck runs, but I can't be sure how well and whether it (or me!) would be up for a 1,00 mile drive right of the lot. That being the case, any suggestions (other than PMCS and hearing protection!) to get it road worthy? Local mechanics? I'm an former Guard guy - Huey driver - so I actually do have some experience with the M35.

Thanks!!!

Pinkie

I would check all the fluids, brakes, axle, t case, transmission, bleed the brakes and drive it. If its running and stopping you should be fine. At least I was with mine.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to SS.

There are some really good post on people planning their delivery of their trucks and also many on people who drove it home. You really should do some searches of the archives.

If you have actually inspected this truck and are comfortable with its condition then drive it home. Expect to check or change all the fluids before the trip. Perhaps finding a local garage willing to do the work would be best if you are going to fly out and drive home. I would still suggest you bring as many tools and spare parts as you can stuff on your luggage. Another option might be to try and contact a member out that way to help you pick it up. After 1000 miles you will certainly either love the Deuce or hate it.
Good luck

jeli

I'm on 30+ days waiting on my EUC. Once it hits I'll be going to Ripley to get mine. Luckily I'm only 135 miles away. Send me a PM with the lot number and I can give it a look see. I'm already going to do it for another SS winner. I did look at all the trucks that sold in April. All look to be good runners and they had just been moved from a different lot so they all ran with maybe a jump start. In January I spoke to a person at the MN DRMO and the Gov Liq guy confirmed these are mainly fresh turn ins from the Guard. None of them have sat that long. They turned in about 85 trucks. Most got scooped up to foreign sales.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Look for a truck broker that specializes in "Hot Shot" rigs. That is a big dually pickup truck pulling a gooseneck trailer. It will haul the deuce and they charge a lot less per mile than a big rig.
If you find one that needs a backhaul from Minn. you may be able to get an even better price.
Just my 2cents .

poppop

Along with tools I would be sure I had extra fuel filters. You don't know the condition of the fuel or tanks and even with a perfect truck dirty tanks can strand you on the side of the road. Also take a list of NAPA numbers or any civilian numbers so if you have to buy on the road you will have the correct numbers. I once drove a new to me farm truck to Fl for a load of tobacco plants and bought every fuel filter for 150 miles.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
If these trucks were recent Guard turn ins like mine and it runs save yourself some dough and get to know the truck driving it home. I just donned my BDU's and drove it 300 miles to home almost five years ago. Bottom line is the duece is a very reliable vehicle and short of a major engine or transmission issue the ride home would be a great experience. If Jeli is so close a ride to his place might be a good break-in and then head out. M38 in Maine did his from PA to ME after going over it and changing some tires. If you have the time to do it you will not regret it. Oh and take lots of pictures we love them. :)

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I found this old thread on what spares people keep in their trucks. Of course this is slanted to already having the truck at home, but it should give you some ideas.
http://steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=8093&highlight=grease
I would also suggest some extra fuses for your fuel pump just to be on the safe side. I finally got to pulling my fuse to get some spares. What I found under my factory sealed fuse cover was a 1-1/4" long round fuse, 250V, 2 amps slow acting. Others have talked about using a 3 or 4 amp.

On my pickup I had to deal with wiring problems. I had brought a spare combo switch and turn signal lever switch. Of course it ended up being the flasher. I would suggest wiring tool supplies like a multimeter, repair connectors, wire, etc.

area52

If you want to ship it, try here: www.uship.com

I have had good experiences over there dealing with people. Sort of like an Ebay for shipping stuff.

But that having been said, I would try to fix it and drive it home. I drove my last one over 800 miles through the Mojave desert in August!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks