• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HELP with Transfer case

CCATLETT1984

I am having a problem with the transfer case on my truck, when i put it into 4-high it engages and drives all 4 wheels. But, after a varying amount of time ( sometimes 2 min, could be 30 min) it slips out of 4x4, and i hear a buzzing noise ( wounds like the gears are not meshing anymore. It hasen't happened yet when i'm in 4-low. Anybody have the same prob? what should i do. I've heard that the t-case is really expense to fix, is this true? I just got the truck a few weeks ago, and this is the only major prob., although i had to have one of the alternators rebuilt.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First, welcome to the SS Forum. Please put your city/state in your sig so members know where you are or your posts will be locked.

I had the exact same problem with my M1009 Blazer. The shift fork selector was worn out. The forks have a small plastic pad on the tips that rides in a groove in the gear cluster. The pads wear out and then the aluminum fork wears out. That allows the case to slip from 4x4 to 4x2. The range fork doesn't get near the wear as the 4x4 fork so it is usually in good shape. Tear your case down, replace the forks, and do the bearings/chain/seals while you are at it. It is an easy garage project with a Haynes manual [thumbzup]

Txstruck

[dito] Had the exact same thing happen on my NP208. about $18 for a new one and half a days work to rebuild it myself and she was good as new.

Txstruck

My military manual shows it to be 14029107 and stock number 2520-01-164-6228. You may have to call a Chevy house and have them cross-reference the number to get the correct part number if this one doesnt produce any results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks