• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Surplus hummers hitting the market?

Sam27

I heard on the news that the military is replacing the hummers in Iraq with something more highly armored. Is this right? If so, I wonder if we'll get a flood of surplus hummers hitting the market soon?

Mike_L

IMHO, I doubt it. It looks like quite a few are going to the Iraqi Police and Military. The HMMWV will probably still be used stateside or in other theaters for years to come.

jwaller

front page article in USA today on thurs or fri had this stated that the USMC and army are going to repplace the hummer outside the line with the new vehicles

acetomatoco

they are only buying a few hundred and the delivery times go out for years... Remember that the HumVees do not meet NHTSA requirements and will be demilled as were the (or Most of) the M151s... The USMC HumVEES that got out on the trade for radios a few years ago were a glitch which has been patched... ACE

Tankjeepman

It is abut time. South Africa developed very effiective (mine resistant ambush protected) MRAP vehicles in the 70's. I said three years ago when this turned ugly that they should only use MRAPs.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do a little research..
Find out how many humvees are in service right now, and how many MAPS can be produced each month... Do the math, and you'll see it will take YEARS........
Even then, humvees wont be surplused out. DRMS made sure of that.

Dieselsmoke

Jason, we think along the same lines. HMMWVs were being surplused up until about '92...which oddly enough is about the same time the civvy version came out.
Mine was released in '88 or '89 I have to look at the SF97.

devilman96

Being that AMG is no longer making the civy we might eventually get lucky and yes there was an agreement with the US Gov and AMG in reguards to surplus. The lacking of safety standards is a joke of an excuse!

Just imagen. . . Cheap M880's to tow behind a deuce. . . it would be the only way to get around!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a NOS Hummer still in the crate for 50$ if anyone wants it?? Or was that a jeep??

AMTAK

Here is what I have found out so far on surplus humvee's.
Talked to guys at DRMO. Any good ones are going to rebuild programs around the country. The real bad ones are going to a central demill center and being shredded.
Murray just got a contract for over 100 to repaint and fix up for a foreign gov.
AMG is just building a few hundred up armored ones each year.
Most of the ones that got out in the big sale a few years ago have dried up.
The rest of what I have heard is just a bunch of rumors and not worth talking about.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO - if you want a HMMWV, it will just take more work to build one up from parts. It took an enterprising individual, but now you can build a NEW Willys MB out of repro parts. It took and enterprising individual, but now you can build a NEW M151 jeep from new unibodies and surplus parts. Find someone who is really good at welding and reinforcing frames, retacking bodies etc, or just start a business fabbing up new frames for HMMWV, and with a lot of surplus parts, build your own. This is America, and it may take a lot of work, but it can be done. After all, we're smarter than DRMO is.

jasonjc

This is from MVM
2008 Army budget request:
$1,000,000,000 for 127 Strykers
$828,000,000 for 2,862 FMTV trucks
$596,000,000 for 3,268 HMWVV's
$185,900,000 for 1,037 M1 Abrams tank Engines
And need most of all a 3% pay raise for the troops.

Dieselsmoke

maddawg308 said:
IMHO - if you want a HMMWV, it will just take more work to build one up from parts. It took an enterprising individual, but now you can build a NEW Willys MB out of repro parts. It took and enterprising individual, but now you can build a NEW M151 jeep from new unibodies and surplus parts. Find someone who is really good at welding and reinforcing frames, retacking bodies etc, or just start a business fabbing up new frames for HMMWV, and with a lot of surplus parts, build your own. This is America, and it may take a lot of work, but it can be done. After all, we're smarter than DRMO is.
Better be careful with that one. Just ask Sam of Sam's Surplus in Texas. He got the hell sued out of him by uncle and AM General years ago for the repro body kit that he produced!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dieselsmoke said:
Better be careful with that one. Just ask Sam of Sam's Surplus in Texas. He got the heck sued out of him by uncle and AM General years ago for the repro body kit that he produced!
Yes, but at the time the Hummer H-1 was still being made by AM General. Change the grille ever so slightly (copyrighted), don't put any stampings of "Hummer" or "AM General" anywhere on the body, call it something else like the "Ridge Runner" or "Sawback" to change the association, and you're legal.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a HMMWV, save your pennies. They are available at reasonable prices (although "reasonable" is a relative term). The prices are not going any where but up IMHO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks