• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gama goat info

res0wc18

hello all my best friends has a chance to buy a gamma goat in HI. I know nothing about them. When and by who were they buily by etc? Whats a good price range?

parker

acetomatoco

The term is Gama Goat.. The were built by ConDec in the 70's and feature a 3 cylinder Detroit Diesel with Aluminum block...Not good for much except for looking and sounding weird... I have owned three..two steering axles and odd tire size... 1100 x 18 etc...outboard brakes.. My usual warning: Get the manuals and read them in bed for several weeks before buying the vehicle or attempting to fix it.. ACE

Tankjeepman

Although it was an interesting idea, in practical use ( I was in an Armor Battalion) in the units that had them they were broke down most of the time, required alot of maintenance, had a small cargo area and you had to wear hearing protection to drive it. Unless you know this vehicle and JUST loved it, I would think about it carefully.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The manuals for the M561 and M792, 1-1/4 ton 6x6 Gama Goat are TM 9-2320-242-10, -20, -20P etc.
The were designed to swim and have some interesting features, should make a great collector vehicle.
Harold Hammond (now Buddy's) in Greenville, KY had stripped down units for about $1,000/ea. Don't know if any are left.
A running one may cost you $8,000.

jfnemt1ff1

Ok here we go the same story about the poor Gama Goat. What I have found out is that people love or hate them.I bought mine in Januray and had to rebuild it from the ground up. It was in my case a great time for my son and I. It is a very neat thing. And best of all it made it to and from Aberdeen with out any problems and got about 12mpg.
John
ps pm me if you want any more info

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GG is a love/hate thing, you either do or you don't. They are interesting, they certainly sound cool, and still have that modern tactical look that will have people asking what unit you are in. Remember, we are dealing with MVs here, they ALL have their quirks and problems, their pluses and minuses. I was surprised in seeing three really nice looking GGs at the Aberdeen rally, usually you only see one at best! I think John's looked the best, but the camo one was sharp too.

CGarbee

Russell E. Blackburn Jr. over in the Triad area of North Carolina not only has a Goat, but he has a great website with a lot of info on these vehicles. Site is located at: http://www.gamagoat.com/

I'm impressed by John's truck's performance during the ECC last week, and thought that it was one great looking rig. I'm looking forward to updates on it as time passes...

Good luck.

jfnemt1ff1

Thanks guys for the nice things. The Goat did great there and back, I hate to say it but I think I was the only one that had no problems. :wink: This weekend the goat will take its first swim across the pond. Will take pics,I will have the duece on stand by just in case. :) The GamaGoat web site was a great help in getting my goat back together.
John

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks