• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics of my M37

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks great! Did you have to do any mechanical things? Looks like USN grey....After of course :wink:

CGarbee

Great looking truck. Love that Navy Gray (I've got a lot of cans of that on the shelf looking for home if you ever need any touch up paint... )

Although it looks like this truck has some custom rims on it with Swampers (?) mounted, they do remind one of the look of combat rims, and since the question was posed I'll toss in some semi-relevant info. :)

Combat rims were not fitted to the M37, but since the truck shared the same rim size and bolt pattern as the 3/4 ton WC's, you can mount them and they look just like they belong... As can be seen here. A good, well maintained combat rim is pretty easy to take apart using small hand tools, so they are nice to have, but make sure that you air them all the way down before you take them apart. The stock GY-LTS rim requires a couple special purpose tools to take apart, but they are pretty easy to work upon as well once you learn how. In both cases, old tires that had glued themselves to the rims and/or rust can make things a royal pain...

One trick that a buddy with combat rims uses is that his lug nuts have the studs painted yellow, the wheel lock ring studs are painted red... Just a little extra insurance to keep folks from loosening the wrong nuts...

Once again, a great looking ride. :)

ffr1910

thank you for all of the encouragement. the paint is "Haze Gray" epoxy, but you could not guess how many times I have heard, "when are you going to paint it", assuming it was primer. I dont have any more pictures right now, i just learned how to photo-host yesterday so this was my experiment. the wheels are modified HUMMVEE wheels done by Bob Kelly at hammerdownoffroad.com. I saw his and knew I had to have some like them. I went for a "functional restoration" and not a period correct look, hence no unit markings. I have always liked the look of the truck and thought i could justify getting one if Isold my S10 ;)

Bill

CGarbee

Knew a guy with a civilain Power Wagon who had his painted Oliver gray who used to have the same problem with folks asking about him painting over his "primer"... Those of use who knew him used to chuckle with him every year at the gatherings at how many folks still wouldn't believe him when he explained what it was... Hope that folks don't drive you too batty about it... :)

How long ago did Bob do the wheels for you? I've had reports from some folks that they've had difficulty contacting him recently and was wondering how he is doing.

Tanner

Bill -

The truck looks great! And as for the mod'd Hummer wheels, I had considered going this route as well over concern about the longer-term availability of 11.00x16's - will probably just bite the bullet & go with the 11.00's & worry about the future when it gets here...

FWIW - I had also considered going with grey paint scheme whenever I get my truck... (Cabell - cough, cough... ahem!... :wink: ) but I am strongly considering staying with the '63 Army color & markings -

"Tanner"
North Carolina

citizensoldier

AWSOME! Love the looks of that truck.. Need more pictures!!!! :p
If you dont mind me asking.. :| What did you have to invest in them there rims? I have a future project "in the planning stages right now" that they would look just swell on. You worked hard on that truck looks great..

ffr1910

wheels

citizensoldier,

I am sorry it took a few days to get back to you, but the wheels cost about $250 each. I had Bob Kelly do them but his website has been down so I dont know if he is still in the business. They are Humvee wheels with the center bolt pattern section cut out (plasma cutter?) and then a M37 lug pattern plate welded in behind that area. Very strong wheel from what I can see. You might be able to get another custom wheel shop to mod a set for you. Good luck,

Bill

CGarbee

RE: wheels

The phone number I have for Bob Kelly is also no longer in service. I did hear through the grapevine that he is alive and well though... (A buddy mentioned seeing him on a trial in Telico...).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks