• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Memorial Day weekend in Raleigh, NC

CGarbee

At the last couple of monthly gatherings in Raliegh, I've been approached by the President of the North Carolina Vietnam Veterans, Inc. concerning our joining them in the 20th Anniversery Rededication of the Vietnam Memorial at the State Capital. They are very interested in having us participate in the events.

I told them that I would act as a liason between our group (NCMVPA) and thiers (NCVVI).

I've asked Bill for some more detail as to exactly how they would like us to participate on Fridayand/or Saturday and will post more info as I learn it. Meanwhile, below is the text of the press release that was sent out yesterday.

Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Cabell

PRESS RELEASE

N. C. V. V. I.
North Carolina Vietnam Veterans, Inc.
P.O. Box 20872
Raleigh, North Carolina 27619-0872
ncvvi@nc.rr.com
Telephone: 919-434-7345

20TH Anniversary North Carolina Vietnam Veterans Memorial Salute

The most visited memorial on the “Union Square” State Capital grounds here in Raleigh is the Vietnam Memorial entitled “The Last Firefight.” The memorial has many unique qualities about it, it is the only memorial on the capital grounds designed and sculptured by a woman, it is the only memorial on the grounds that depicts an African-American and a Hispanic-American. On this Memorial Day, 2007 the memorial will be 20 years old.

The North Carolina Vietnam Veterans, Inc. is having a 20th Anniversary Salute on Friday and Saturday, May 25th and 26th 2007 at the memorial site. Since the dedication in May 1987, NCVVI and the Marine Corps Reserve have held a ceremony “Calling out the Names” of the North Carolina soldiers still unaccounted for in South East Asia. This ceremony held the 1st Saturday of the month at 12:00 noon with guest clubs, organizations and veterans groups participating in the service.

Events:

Friday May 25th at 7:30 PM a candle lighting service will be held to honor the men and women who gave all and the still unaccounted for. Air Force General Norman Gaddis who spent 6 years as a POW at the famous Hanoi Hilton will be the speaker. The public is invited to attend.

Saturday May 26th, at 10:00 AM a taped reading of the names of 1600+ soldiers from North Carolina, made at the original dedication, that lost their life in South East Asia. At 2:00 The Anniversary Salute will be held with guest speakers, Marine General Al Gray, the original dedication speaker, later to become Marine Commandant, and Abbe Godwin the sculpture. NCVVI’s small wall replica of the National Vietnam Memorial Wall, along with military displays and music will also be on the capital grounds. The public is invited to attend

NCVVI is raising funds for the Anniversary Salute and all donations are appreciated.
Contributions should be made to NCVVI memorial salute.

For additional information call 919-434-7345, mail to NCVVI 20th Anniversary Salute, PO Box 20872, Raleigh, NC 27619 or on line at www.ncvvi.org.

A copy of this press release in MS Word format may be dowloaded from:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/ncvvi.doc

CGarbee

Just got an update from the Veterans' Group...

They'd like to have the Vehicles in the circle (driveway) in front of the Capital Building where Rolling Thunder normally parks for the monthly Remembrence Ceremony.

They'd also like us participate in the actualy Ceremony on Friday (candle procession, reading of names, etc.).

Friday, they would need us there around 6:30PM. They want to have a person carying a candle (actually, a light stick) for each of the 65 soldiers who were unacounted for from NC twenty years ago when the Memorial was first dedicated. They will have folks process with the "candle" anounce the name, branch of service, hometown, and then depending on if they are one who's disposition has been resolved or not, the light will go into a box, or will go onto a stand...

They need sixty-five folks on Friday....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks