• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2008 East Coast Convoy

CGarbee

Folks, while the 2007 East Coast Convoy is fresh in everyone's minds, I'd like everyone to think about next year... Please think about anything that you would like to see done differently (better, or just different) and post it here or send me a PM.

I'm always trying to make the ride to (and back from) the Aberdeen Rally better each year...

Thanks,

acetomatoco

Ask them to move the Rally to a more user friendly place like a county fairgrounds, etc... It has not been any fun since we had to move off Base... ACE.

CGarbee

To start things off, one of the suggestions that was made this year at the rally was to consider having a short (six mile or so convoy) on Friday evening over to a local park for supper instead of having our group meal at the rally site. It would give us a chance to drive some more as a combined group, for some folks to check out different rides (if you didn't want to disturb your setup at the rally for instance), to show folks how large a group we are once again, and to get some grass under our toes.

Carter Davidson posted a note on the www.g741.org site about the BBQ and added a photo of the gristmill that is at the park that we had talked about some. Since I am dangerous on the computer, instead of copying the post here, I'm just going to plug in the link for everyone to follow... :)

Go here for a photo of the mill...
http://www.g741.org/cgi-bin/dcforum...895&forum=DCForumID1&omm=23&viewmode=threaded

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would recommend telling all the cordinators of the individual cereals to figure speeds of 45mph. That way if someone goes slow up hills their covered.

CGarbee

Re: RE: 2008 East Coast Convoy

acetomatoco said:
Ask them to move the Rally to a more user friendly place like a county fairgrounds, etc... It has not been any fun since we had to move off Base... ACE.

A big Roger on that one ACE... :)

I had a long discussion about this with the officers of the club that organizes the rally and was told that they are looking at a bunch of locations for 2009. They said that 2008 will be back at Ripken Stadium... They say that the guys at Ft. Meade wanted them until they saw how big an event it was then declined, that they have a line on a former airfield next to Meade but that it had no utilities, that the vendors from NJ don't want to drive through Baltimore, etc...

I am on their mailing list and have in fact made arrangements to join thier club so that I can improve relations between the Rally and the Convoy, hopefully to the benefit of both.

I miss the grass, but I understand why they like asphalt... :)

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: 2008 East Coast Convoy

Not really a convoy concern, but I am wondering about location in the parking lot if at the stadium again next year. Being by the edge of the parking lot I am sure has some advantages, but was it just me or was everyone broke by the time they visited us?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Straight up 95 to the event, ignore the side roads.

Couple more short stops/restroom breaks

Can we get a volume discount on rooms?

More wreckers! rofl

Organization for the trip home..... that 400 miles after AM General and I split off, in the dark, by myself was scary.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
clinto said:
Organization for the trip home..... that 400 miles after AM General and I split off, in the dark, by myself was scary.
You did a lot of driving for one day Clinto, perhaps it's better to plan for a two day return trip in your case. If you can't relax and enjoy the trip then what? I spent a lot of time on the road, but never more than about 500 miles in a day.

Cabell must be given a lot of credit for leading the convoy, not so easy to run up front, like being alone plus some. Like a mother hen with a bunch of chicks trailing. :)

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You did a lot of driving for one day Clinto, perhaps it's better to plan for a two day return trip in your case. If you can't relax and enjoy the trip then what? I spent a lot of time on the road, but never more than about 500 miles in a day.
Shoot, 700 miles in a day is no big deal................

In all truthfullness, I only did that because I didn't want to burn another vacation day sitting in the truck. As is, I think I'd do it again. It was nice to get home and have 3 more days of not being at work.

Westech

CPL
I did atleast 700 the first day.. that was too much. Count me in for the M1008 next year. Im going to change out the gears and make it more drivable. The longer convoy would be GREAT! and maybe some hlep from the local police to block for us so we could keep moving. Seeing how much our groop just spends in fuel alone in the area they should be more then happy to help.

CCATLETT1984

Need to get everyones cell phone #'s dispersed to all the members of the serials prior to heading out. It was hard to keep in contact with members of the group, esp. with breakdowns in the rear of the convoy. Also our group ran into issues with radio reception on the assigned frequency. We need to be sure that the Rearmost vehiicle can communicate with the truck out in front (IN THE MOUNTIANS THIS IS CRITICAL!!)

Also would be great if someone could play convoy central again (Kenny you did a great job letting us know where everyone else was at)!!!!

For our group next year there will probably be a group of 4 or 5 cucv's and we might be planning to run as a seperate group to avoid being stuck at 50mph.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
CCATLETT1984 said:
For our group next year there will probably be a group of 4 or 5 cucv's and we might be planning to run as a seperate group to avoid being stuck at 50mph.
Something to consider - once there were some local guys who complained about having the highway speed limited by me and a friend who were driving our M62s - cruising speed around 45. The complained until one of them needed a tow....then the complaining stopped.

My .02,
David

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I've been seriously wanting a ten-0-nine for convoy purposes. I don't mind cruising at 50 with a group but in the past, the first 800 miles I've been by myself and 70 MPH for 800 miles does conserve some time. Doubt that I'll be able to buy an M1009 anytime soon though.
I would have no problem being the Connvoy Central Comm hub for future convoys. It was actually a last second idea when Gimpyrobb was trying to hook up with Westech after his 3 hour delay in Chi-town. I'm also seriously considering sourcing another RT524 just for convoy purposes. On high power they have very good range and are well suited for the event. Anybody know of the frequencies can be scanned? Might be another way for those in the middle of the convoy to keep up to date on what's going on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks