• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out of state mv's in Wisconsin

iatractor

I've been reading the threads on the Wisconsin laws. Maybe I misread-or read too much into this, but from what I understand is that a mv with out-of-state plates are not permitted to operate on Wisconsin roads. Am I correct in this assumption? My Iowa truck has regular county plates that any non-apportioned truck would have. These aren't collector or antique plates. At some point in time I have pondered taking a road trip up through the north woods and UP of Michigan in the deuce. The last thing that I need is to get arrested, have the truck impounded, and tarnish the mv hobby.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I believe that there are federal reciprocation agreements between the states. They are required to accept your registration from another state as long as it is valid and has insurance.

undysworld

State reciprocity laws allow a vehicle registered in one state to drive in all other US states. You'll have no problems here.

This is one of the inequitable issues which we raised here in Wis.: If someone from another US state can legally drive their registered ex-military truck in Wisconsin, why can't the citizens of Wisconsin (that vote and pay the taxes here) do the same? Thankfully, we seem to have regained our rights.

You're most welcome to come and visit the Badger state.

Cheers

iatractor

Thanks for the information. I kind of thought that you should be able to operate a licensed vehicle into another state, but after reading all the ins and outs of the Wisconsin ordeal it looked like I may not, but thanks for verifying and hopefully someday in the next couple of years I will take the deuce on a trip through Wisconsin.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that there are federal reciprocation agreements between the states. They are required to accept your registration from another state as long as it is valid and has insurance.
As the OP of the Texas Former Military Vehicle LAWS thread, I will second the nomination on this quoted post. In all the research that I have done, I find this to be an accurate "nutshell" explanation about crossing state lines.

On the other hand, just because they can, be prepared to be stopped and questioned. Equally so, CARRY your state's documentation (see the TX FMV LAWS thread about 3"-3-Ring Binders of LAWS) in your MV for roadside discussion purposes.

[edit: added the following]

It should be noted that even the requirement for insurance could be moot when, as is permitted in TEXAS, the MV in question is registered with an approved WAIVER of insurance. This WAIVER is intended to be used only for vehicles trailered to parades and events, BUT the Texas Waiver does in fact NOT PROHIBIT the use of the UNINSURED MV on the public highways, streets and roadways in transport to and from such events. Hence, under the agreement binding all 50 States to accept the others' registered vehicles, it would be "possible" for a TX FMV without Insurance to operate anywhere else in the USA.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks