• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to clean oil spots on CARC

Jetnoise400

Hi All,

Seems like a dumb question, but do any of you have a proven method for getting out the odd oil or coolant spot from CARC paint? I had an engine oil leak, and now I have a few oily spots on the back of my truck.

Ideas?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have the CARC on my M1009 and am always spilling fuel oil at the fuel tank fillup. I have used ether starting fluid to remove it. I don't know how it would work with the heavier oil you are talking about.

halftrack

The simple answer is that you don't. It needs to wear off. You probably will do more damage to the paint trying to get the oil off than it would be to just leave it alone. Carc (the real stuff) tends to scuff, stain, fade, etc. More easily than any other coating that I know off. Unless your truck is going to be a hanger queen thant expect the stains and the scuffing from everyday use. Its the nature of the beast with CARC. I gave up a long time ago.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have used brake cleaner. Make sure it is the non-chlorinated type. Once the oil has been removed, I usually follow it up with a hose.

hobie237

I'd think that brake cleaner would evaporate fast enough that it wouldn't be a major issue, that's why I'd use it over, say, carb cleaner for something like this.

mbwarner

I don't have anything with carc on it, but my standard cleaner is Coleman lantern fuel. No additives, doesn't harm any paint I've put it on, and the evap rate is about right for grease and oil removal.

sermis

Oil up a rag and wipe the rest of the paint. Makes it turn a darker color and fades the oil spots to match the rest.

Jones

CARC is a polyurethane coating so I'd figure soapy water would do the trick on oil spots. CARC showing scuffs and scratches is a fact of life so you might have to end up washing the whole truck to keep things even.

dependable

I wonder if oil will screw up future paint adheasion. If you are working in the open, try automotive laquer thinner, Prep solve, automotive enamal recucer or even acetone if it is a smaller area. Use chemical resistant gloves and lots of clean rags. The above should work as well as brake cleaner.

randyscycle

Best thing I've found on my deuce with the real CARC is Castrol Super Clean. A couple shot of that and a stiff scrub brush, followed with a hose will get most anything off and after it dries it looks as good as new.

Just DON'T use it on any shiny or regular paint or shiny aluminum. It will dull them fairly quickly.

mightyhammer

Carb or Brake cleaner. Have a bucket of hot water with some dish detergent in it and a clean scrubber brush and have a hose handy. Spray area with solvent then give a quick scrub with the soapy water and rinse away. If you work quickly it will do a great job and there will be no fading or deterioration. Coop

edpdx

OK, here is the cure I happened upon just last week. No guessing here. I had some pine tar drops and oil from overspray when I lubed up something with WD-40 or White Lithium Grease Spray. The hood looked like ****.

I went through all the possible solvents and started with bug and Tar spray. Left it on for maybe 10 minutes and washed my truck after, the camo paint was as clean as it was when laid down. Surprised? You bet!

I was just as pleasantly surprised when I tried Permatex Fast Orange hand cleaner to polish my wife's Slotted mags. It worked better than Mothers or Flitz! Sometimes you get lucky.

a175

I'd say simple green, as that's what everything got cleaned with when I was in the Army.

I've got some spots from WD-40 or something also. I went to spray wash and couldn't get it off. I quit trying, figured it couldn't hurt.

Not to hijack, but what, if any, bad things would happen if you really DID just spray the whole body with it? I know the spots are nice and dark, it takes the faded look away. I would assume it helps protect the metal from corrosion as well. Any thoughts?

AMX

I'd say simple green, as that's what everything got cleaned with when I was in the Army.

I've got some spots from WD-40 or something also. I went to spray wash and couldn't get it off. I quit trying, figured it couldn't hurt.

Not to hijack, but what, if any, bad things would happen if you really DID just spray the whole body with it? I know the spots are nice and dark, it takes the faded look away. I would assume it helps protect the metal from corrosion as well. Any thoughts?
I would say everytime it rained the truck would look streaked. Of course it would help wash off all the dirt that the oil attracted.

ODw/envy

I've been using "Purple Power" on the 40+ years of "anti-corrosive coating on my deuce. I use it strait on the caked on dirt, oil, trans, diff fluid mixtures and it actually dissolves that stuff. I apply it strait, out of the sun, for 20 min. and do not let it dry; then spray with a hose. 2-3 times and a inch of crud exposes what is left of the paint or the metal underneath. It works better than engine cleaner or brake cleaner.

No I am not a rep. I just find it rare that a product exceeds my expectations and am eager to share. This stuff will remove brake dust without scrubbing. Seriously!

Do me a favor though, read the instructions!!!

OD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks