• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

intermittent gear selector problems

bchauvette

I'm having trouble shifting the intermittent gear, the one shifted by the slider on the gear shift lever. Sometimes it doesn't shift sometimes it shifts into neutral instead of going in to high or low gear. I scoured the TM and the closest info I can find is a small diagram showing the electrics activating an air solenoid. My first step is to raise the air pressure. Does anybody know where the regulator is for this?

bchauvette

May have fixed the problem with out tilting the cab. I found the air pressure regulator for the transmission controls and slightly increased the pressure. Time will tell. It seems that the back Hoe add ons are always in the way!

lurkMcGurk

I have had a similar issue crop up with the Hi-Lo collar. I have not had it go to neutral on me just stay in hi or lo even though I activated the collar. I hear the air when I slide the collar and when I hit the clutch I don't get the click or the gear change. I have had to double pump the clutch in some cases or depress it more aggressively and it engages as it should. Kind of strange as everything was fine a few weeks ago on my short trips down the road. I checked fluid levels and am fine. Only thing done was a new plunger in the "slave cylinder" as I had a slow drip leak into the cab as the old piece was a bit worn. Any ideas on this?

here are some pics of the work to give anyone a better idea of what I'm talking about.

clutch 1.jpgclutch 3.jpgclutch 4.jpgclutch old spring new spring.jpgmog 2.jpgnew plunger old plunger.jpg

Read somewhere that sometimes the transmission lines swell over time ?? if that were the case it may explain a lot considering I can still shift the manual controls just fine with the usual amount of force.

Last edited:

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had to double pump the clutch in some cases or depress it more aggressively and it engages as it should.
Sounds like the dumb switch on the clutch is doing its thing. I don't care if I can't use the intermediate gears, but it's nice when the switch allows me to start the engine in the first place.

Try a jumper wire on the switch before digging too deep into the rest of the system. I can see keeping it functional on an HMMH, for the suspension lockout, but not how it would serve a purpose on a SEE.

lurkMcGurk

Pretty sure you nailed this if I'm understanding it correctly. If the switch behind the clutch is what allows the hi-lo collar to engage then THERE is my problem. I know this already as I have been working the Mogs in tandem to unload from a trailer one pulls. During this work to start one Mog I only reach in from the driver side while standing outside once I return with a load of mulch (because I only need the backhoe and no reposition is required from inside the cab). I check that the shifters are not in gear, Master battery on, throttle handle out, ignition ON and most importantly I press the clutch button in by finger before I hit the starter.

I'll bet I need a new switch as its been hit or miss for starting the past week. The clutch switch is my culprit without doubt for not completing the circuit. I did not know it was responsible for the Hi-Lo shifting as well. Thanks for the info!

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bet I need a new switch as its been hit or miss for starting the past week. The clutch switch is my culprit without doubt for not completing the circuit. I did not know it was responsible for the Hi-Lo shifting as well. Thanks for the info!
No, I bet you don't need a new switch. You're plenty smart enough to do without it.
Just put a jumper wire in there and be done with it.

Glad I could help, if it turns out to be the switch, but they're costly. At least try with a jumper before spending the money.

Pinsandpitons

I agree with the general uselessness of the clutch switch. However, I wonder if it’s not worth having so as to avoid transmission damage if the range selector is moved while in gear. Doesn’t the clutch switch act as kind of a safety so that you don’t shift between direct and underdrive while in gear? I’m just asking as I don’t know the internals of that transmission well enough.

lurkMcGurk

You beat me to it! I'm in the same train of thought as you. Especially as I venture out on the road into high gear more and more. I think I have accidentally shifted the collar into High while trying to get unstuck in 4x4 and believe that may have caused me to stall before. If I knew the clutch would still be needed once the the hi-lo collar was activated even if the clutch switch was jumped i'd be more inclined to jump it!! Really don't want to damage the transmission. The switch is over $50 on EI but ebay turns up a few for less now and then.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know the internals, either, but it's the same principle as a splitter in a 13 or 18-speed tranny in a Class 8. I, and most everybody else, split gears and shifts those without using the clutch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks