• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 cucv noisy inside

SFC Deal

Anyone with an M1009 ever try to quite down the inside? I'm thinking trying either Lizard Skin or Paint On Bed Liner. Which of these would be quieter? What have you done to your's? Thanks for any help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both of your ideas have been covered many times before. I'm surprised you didn't find the previous threads while searching.

jw4x4

Whatever you choose, it would be a good idea to insulate the underside of the hood also. This will considerably lower the interior noise level. I find the best way to make mine quieter is to remove the top. But that is only feasible in three out of four seasons.

Barrman

The hood insulator as mentioned above is a big help. We went with the full replacement floor vinyl and insulation on RED which Colton just got on the road in the past week. I can talk on the cell phone at 65 mph with the windows up, hear everything the person is saying and they can hear me talking in a normal tone.

Just pointing out another option for you.

aquaman79

I actually started putting USeal in mine today. HUGE difference. I started with the doors and the fire wall. I was amazed at how big of a difference it made. NO its not made for this application but you cant argue with results. I researched on this site and a few others then watched several movies on youtube prior to buying. I recommend using a heat gun and a small roller. once I fill all the holes in the floor I will layer it a few times and I also purchased the hood insulation kit from LMC. Has not arrived yet but I plan on added a layer or two of the useal under it just for the **** of it. I got mine at Home Depot.

aquaman79

Mine was already stripped. If you send me your email I can shoot you over a before and after of one of the doors. I did a few rolls a day over the past few days and with every roll it does make a significant difference.

ssdvc

I did that roofing seal stuff sold at Home Depot. Put it in the doors, under the hood and a few key pieces in the back. Then I bought some of the 2'x2' rubber floor tiles (grey) and used them in the back on the cargo floor. Fit great. Oh, and I just slammed the back seat down and the holes for the bracket made themselves !:lol:

Noise reduction was very good and I think I spent $20 or so. I will be glueing some of the 2'x2' squares to the sides of the cargo area, after I do more of the roofing seal.

forest522

For what its worth, I set out on the same mission as well. After at least 3 rolls of the roofing repair stuff on the interior firewall, inside of doors, inside lining of the dash, inside of the tailgate, and installation of some interior plastic from a Junk yard Jimmy also then lined with more of the roofing stuff. Then...several cans of underlayment/sound deadening spray on the firewall (engine compartment side), inside the fender wells, the entire floor and 14 inches up the outside edge of the vehicle.

A donor hood was also lined with the roofing repair and then new hood lining from LMC. Oh and the interior got the interior sound deadening mat and a vinyl floor. Also from LMC.

That made a huge difference. Then last week I picked up 4 news Firestone Destination A/Ts!!! A great buy 3 get 1 free deal. Now, I can actually have a conversation at a normal tone! My wife is very happy...even better.

tim292stro

These are the electronic "compressor type" headsets - the Bose type just kill all sound outside the headset, these knock down the sound to safe levels and compress loud impulse type (gun shot, engine backfire) sounds, and they also plug into radios. These let any sound that is below the danger level through (using microphones on the earphones).

Wearing two-ear headphones while driving is illegal in many states, but with this type you might be able to argue out of it :).

I like those headsets, they do work great. But $20-$50 vs $550? Headset would look cool, but I'd save the dough and go low tech.
I actually agree here but there are "purists" here that don't want to alter the look of the truck at all, and these are military kit so they'd look okay being worn inside them.

Modern vehicles have engines which are shrouded to kill noise at the engine compartment level, the engine compartment is then damped with loaded mass on the sheet metal to kill the low frequencies, then a soft mat to absorb the high frequencies. Inside the dampening and sound deadening is repeated with a carpet cover, and everything is attached with resilient hardware (slightly flexible but firm), and dampened some more. Extra padding is used on the wall trim, door cards, and headliner. That extra padding they put in the dash board upholstery serves to absorb sound within the cabin. Even the foam in the seats make up part of the noise reduction.

On the luxury cars, they laminate the exterior glass with an interior polycarbonate sheet with a cold lamination material (like a gel) that dampens vibrations as well.

Going that far will cost you as much as two sets of those headphones though :).

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks