• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I Burn Crude Oil

oldshep

I have a source for it but if I filtered crude oil and mixed it with some gas or diesel , could it harm my Ldt-465-1d?

Jones

I think the short answer to your question is "yes".
I'm not sure it would even light in a small compression ignition engine. It is after all pretty... well, crude.
The SP's early steam engines ran on bunker C oil and it had to be steam-heated just to get it to flow; that stuff was at least a few steps up the refining process ladder from crude
Might mix up a batch and send it out to a lab to see what the cetane rating works out to, as well as having a flash test done to see if it's flammable. A few crudes have the flow characteristics of cold peanut butter so getting it through injector pump, lines and injectors might be close to impossible.

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it true crude oil or is it "drip gas"? Growing up in WV a lot of the good ol' boys would get free drip gas from the separator tanks on the natural gas wells. Drip is kind of a natural gasoline and has a distinctive odor to it due to the impurities. You could always tell who was running it in their old truck or tractor because of that - don't think I would try it in a modern fuel injected engine :)

Your multifuel might burn drip ok but like the other posters I am not sure about crude. We had a boiler at my work that burned #6 oil and without steam heat it handled about like crude...think molasses.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can boil a pot of crude and let it cool. The clear film left on top will be kerosene. This is how they got lamp oil/kerosene a hundred years ago. This crap is pretty dirty though. I'd burn it in a emergency but not for everyday use. I've mixed drip gas with used motor oil with good results. I read in a TM or some where they could handle up to 71%crude?
But i can't rember where. I wouldn't try it, there is just too much trash in it waiting to kill a IP. But the engine would have to be preheated to start. Heavy fuel oil is mostly used motor oil. The ships go out to use it for fuel. That's where your used oil goes when you "recycle" it. Free fuel for some body else! It's mixed in with other byproducts from refinerys and goes up in smoke. I burn UMO alot. It has really cut the fuel costs!

oldshep

The crude I can get is thiner than motor oil. I know about drip but i rather use crude. I the tulsa area the crude is pretty thin . This flows Easy.

yorkgulch2

If you can find out the API viscosity you want it fairly thin, and filter it. It should be ok but I would worry mostly about clogging the filters or lines and negating any savings. You can probably find an oil analysis for a nearby field. If it is actually condensate be aware that is more volatile than gas. They used it in cars till about 1910 but kept blowing up the tank cars hauling it.

beaubeau

One source for Cheap fuels is at Marinas, Gas left in boats is not good to GO!! I used old gas from a truck I bought from GL, it runs good in the Deuce!! I remember a Phrase from a Driver Inst. in the USMC when I went through Motor Trans School."If you went out and drank alot of Booz the night BEFORE,You can PEE in the tank of a Multifuel and it would RUN!!So that covers a lot of STUFF!! Instead of Off Road diesel at the pumps, I have Heating oil delivered to my home.Store it in 55gals if U must! How legal , or not legal, is Offroad Diesel in a Deuce? It IS an Offroad vehicle,it calls for Multifuels,so how would that holtd up in COURT?I don't even know what color the fuel is in my Deuce? It must be pretty Black!! I just put Drain oil from Farm Tracter in it today!Happy Fueling!!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks