• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Subdued color question

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What color combinations are acceptable on Semi Gloss OD background (Circa 1975)?

1) Black lettering everywhere.

2) White lettering on bumper and black lettering elsewhere.

3) White lettering everywhere.

What color was the Star for each of the above combinations?

The bridge plate color at the time was yellow (until '75-'76), so even with a subdued color for lettering, there was a bright spot.

Thanks,

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason I'm asking is that I don't want my 8x8 looking like a Christmas tree with flashy white symbols and a yellow bridge plate in the middle of it all.

I want to use black lettering and stars to make it less of an "attention getter" on the road. The yellow bridge plate is okay facing forward IMHO.
I'm uncovering a lot of lettering on the frame and body components, for example, TP 30, TIE POINT and 6,000 MAX LOAD repeated many times, which will be reproduced in black.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leonard, let me rephrase, since it is such an attention getter, I'l like the lettering to be correct, just subdued. :)

Will, when were black stars introduced? The painted over ones on the truck were white... decals, judging by the thickness.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think white on 24087 looks better than black on 24087, but that's just my two cents. It's your truck, paint it however you like!

Jones

Bjorn, The color change to black was around late 70s to early 80s like Mutt1966 says. Can't pin point it because my manuals jump from 1975 (largest nation symbol in white that will fit in the specified area) to 1990 which is into the CARC era. If you go black markings on the semi-gloss O.D., what about doing a little switch? Instead of the flat black which is specified, how about semi-gloss black? It would give you the later subdued look and the semi-gloss would be more in keeping with the rest of the truck's finish.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most of the trucks I've seen at GL and some in bone yards have the smaller black or white stars in the center of the front bumper and centered in the rear below the tailgate on deuces and 5 ton.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Subdued color question

Jones said:
.... If you go black markings on the semi-gloss O.D., what about doing a little switch? Instead of the flat black which is specified, how about semi-gloss black? It would give you the later subdued look and the semi-gloss would be more in keeping with the rest of the truck's finish.
I kind of like that. Images will be posted when I get a little further along with the paint job. Need to cut a star stencil, the ones painted over are ten inches across, front, back and on the doors. May do a smaller size for the doors...

Attachments

ONTOS66

RE: Re: RE: Subdued color question

TB 746-93-1, October 1964, specifies:

5. Description of Markings.
a. All letters and numerals used in the marking of vehicles and equipment will be of the gothic style illustrated in figure 1. Thickness of the characters (stroke width) will be between 1/6 and 1/7 of their height.
b. All markings will be of the maximum practical size to be seen at optimum distances unless specifically identified with this bulletin.
c. Permanent markings will be applied in either the stencil paint method or by means of pressure sensitive adhesive vinyl markings conforming to .....
d. Temporary markings ... yawn
e. Markings on vehicles and equipment will be applied in colors as follows:
(1) Lusterless white, .... for vehicles painted olive drab or other dark color.
(2) Gloss Black, .....for vehicles painted yellow, white, or other light color.

TB 43-0147, October 1975, specifies:

2-2. National Symbol. a. The national symbol is a 5-pointed star of lusterless white, Color Chip No.
37875. It will be applied to all tactical and combat vehicles and appropriate equipment in CONUS and
oversea. The national symbol will be applied at the depot to vehicles and equipment in storage only when
withdrawn for issue to the US Army units. It will not be applied to ambulances or other medical service vehicles
affected by international agreement concerning such vehicles.
b. The marking will normally be applied to the front, rear, both sides, and top of the vehicle. The
symbol may be applied to mounted equipment on vehicles when such equipment provides the most
suitable surfaces. It will not normally be applied to canvas surfaces.
c. The National Symbol marking will be located on the largest regular area and as near as
possible to the center of such area. It will not be applied in a location where it will, in normal usage, be obscured
by paulins, canvas doors, folded-down windshields, gasoline cans, communications equipment, or other such
items.

Having said all that - it is your truck. Do what you want to do that looks right for you, unless you are trying to recreate a specific vehicle in a specific time and place - and don't forget that local commanders could, in some instances make changes too.

See how simple it is!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks