• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brand New MRAPS Being Scrapped - A Sad Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Folks, this is nothing new. Policy has been that Armor isn't sold to civilians from the military since the 50's. On the flip side, think how much of that stuff is being left over seas. If it becomes property of another country, you could import it then!

JJP

When I was in Eastern Afghanistan they told us they were scrapping all the ones there. They all looked new.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the pic of the Caymens getting the axe. This place is called Torres Metal Recycling on Hwy 36 in Sealy. Someone should go by there, I bet they will sell you the 395's!!! Actually these trucks are from the scrap contract at RRAD (Hooks). It is just coincidence that Torres is just a mile from the BAE plant where the MRAPS were built.

So basically Uncle Sam paid to ship these from Iraq/Afghanistan to Galveston, TX, then truck them 300 miles to RRAD, only to give them to GL to sell for scrap. EMBRACE THE SUCK!

Attachments

GREENMV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My question Is why don't they just store them In mothball for possible future use? We do It with ships & planes. Why scrap?

3dAngus

Here is the pic of the Caymens getting the axe. This place is called Torres Metal Recycling on Hwy 36 in Sealy. Someone should go by there, I bet they will sell you the 395's!!! Actually these trucks are from the scrap contract at RRAD (Hooks). It is just coincidence that Torres is just a mile from the BAE plant where the MRAPS were built.

So basically Uncle Sam paid to ship these from Iraq/Afghanistan to Galveston, TX, then truck them 300 miles to RRAD, only to give them to GL to sell for scrap. EMBRACE THE SUCK!
Those look to be in good shape. And I thought they had to be demilled on site prior to removal, under government witness.

TehTDK

There is a storage yard down south east of here with several hundreds of brand new MRAP's simply waiting to either get deployed to new postings or to replace ones broken or destroyed in battle.

Another Ahab

That's a lot of fat contracts for the middle-man; Uncle Sam likes to spread the love. Some people are making a lot of good money off all this.

And it looks like the taxpayers (you and me) take ANOTHER sucker punch.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not as simple as "mothballing" it.
How about NASA's Michoud facility in New Orleans, 43 acres air conditioned under one roof. Last time I checked we no longer manufacture Space Shuttle tanks or any space craft. Park the MRAPs in there, put them up on blocks, remove the 6TL's, and fuel stabilize them. If they are anything like the MV's in my warehouse, they will fire up after a 5 year nap and run like the wind!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
How about NASA's Michoud facility in New Orleans, 43 acres air conditioned under one roof. Last time I checked we no longer manufacture Space Shuttle tanks or any space craft. Park the MRAPs in there, put them up on blocks, remove the 6TL's, and fuel stabilize them. If they are anything like the MV's in my warehouse, they will fire up after a 5 year nap and run like the wind!

How's moving them back from over seas, moving them from all over, prepping them for storage, un prepping them, re-deploying. I'm not saying the course of action is right. But there is time and money involved in any route they take.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How's moving them back from over seas, moving them from all over, prepping them for storage, un prepping them, re-deploying. I'm not saying the course of action is right. But there is time and money involved in any route they take.
I was more alluding to the 2000 BRAND NEW ones sitting in the weeds at the about to be closed BAE plant in Sealy TX.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought MRAPs were just tires...

Another Ahab

Logisitics can clearly be lucrative (for those who know how to play the game). Since we're all paying the bills here we might as well get in on the action: anyone know how to set up a syndicate to tap the cash-flow here?! Steel Soldiers, Ltd? Net can go to the Kitty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks