• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wrecker Bed (A Good Laugh.)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
<======= Please note the 3 amigos laughing in my avatard.

So last year, actually, going back to late 2012 I was working on a deal with ChevyC60 to trade him my M108 crane for one of his many M1010 ambulances. Well, in Feb this year the deal came about. My kids weren't too pleased with me trading off the M108 but after the first night camping in the M1010, I was well forgiven. So knowing that the wrecker was leaving I hatched a plan to buy an old used up 80's Chevy wrecker as a yard hooker to move junk about.

This year as the GA Rally approched I was lucky enough to be at the right place at the right time to get a front axle from an M1010 for quite a steal (thanks Micro). My plans was to put that in my suburban and make a CUCV clone. The more I got to thinking about things and considering the market on old junk wreckers, I decided that taking a CUCV and adding a wrecker body would be really cool.

Finding CUCV axles is usually hard. Often times you find CUCVs without axles as some off roader or worse, bought the truck just for the axles. This is currently what I'm looking for as now I have the chassis cab rear axle with 4.56 gears and the Detroit Locker I got from the junk yard M1008.

The wrecker I was looking for was an old Holmes 440 because it has a boom that can telescope out. All I could seem to find was the 480 which is a great wrecker, but not good as a yard hooker. The more I searched, the less I found until recently. I'm now the proud owner of a Holmes 1100 Trooper.

The trooper was delivered to SW Bradleys house on Saturday. By Sunday a crowd had gathered and I was blessed with the avatar pic of the 3 amigos laughing at my wrecker bed. I think it's cool but they say it's a little rough. I think I can fix it. Anyone have a sheet metal brake I can borrow?

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

Is this going to be like the Gasser Tipper you bought a few years ago? Pictures of the bed posted by different people as it moves around the country and never getting to Florida?

Good find by the way. I would like something similar myself for a project truck I am messing with.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this going to be like the Gasser Tipper you bought a few years ago? Pictures of the bed posted by different people as it moves around the country and never getting to Florida?

Good find by the way. I would like something similar myself for a project truck I am messing with.
That thought has entered my mind Tim. One of the M59 tippers did make it home, the other one fell to Gimpy and Stretch. If the need arises, the bed will go on my current M1008. Now I have to get it the 1100 miles home. Going to see if I can get my car trailer a ride to OH. If I do that I might be able to talk JW4x4 and Mike to bring it down in March when we meet in Gainesville.

DeucesWild11

Spelling? The title says Wrecker Bed.. I think you meant to post Wrecked Bed. I will enjoy seeing how you bring this thing back to life..

Best of Luck and Merry Christmas!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know, the actual parts that do the "wrecking" seem to be ok (boom,winch,etc), the rest, not so much.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I told him what I'd do is remove all the sheet metal down to the chassis and frame of the wrecker boom itself. Mount the pump and controls on a small welded up frame and attach it. Bingo! Slap it on a truck or even in the bed of a pickup.

We just stopped laughing 36 hours later. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys are killing me! That is a sonic high side bed. The only one more desirable is the sonic low side. I'm going to do my best to ressurect that bed. If I fail, so be it. A journey not traveled yields no satisfaction.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If they wash that down with some liquid rust remover, they can probably fit what's left in a large flat-rate box.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes you just luck out.
Who, the guy that sold that rusty piece of er... I mean wrecker kit, or Kenny?

Kenny, if you run out of ideas, leave it up here with RAZER for a couple of years, it will be a work of art when he's done! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks