• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

burnt wiring.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While driving this weekend smoke came out from under the dash. After pulling the engine cover at the dash off i found a burn wire that comes out of the rear of the engine harness and goes to the firewall that appears to be a ground. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the humvee?

AMTAK

The grounds on humvee's are poor. I ran a 10 or 12 gauge wire from the control box to the negative batt terminal and heavy grounds from the body to the motor and frame. If you need a copy of the diagram I can fax it to you. let me know.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your right. The grounds are a joke. I started running some extras already. But i'm concerend that i haven't fixed the problem. Everything works but i'm still tring to figure out what burn this ground wire.

Crazyguyla

There was an article in PS magizine a couple years ago about the grounding problem. The ground wire probably burned from being to small for the load it needs to pull.

ElkyRacer

One place they tend to ground out is where the harness routes right above the steering column. It tends to rub the column and ground out there. That will make a bad mess very quickley. I doubt this is your problem, but you might as well check it and insulate it a bit better. Its a VERY common problem.

Kyle

AMTAK

Your main ground goes through the shunt then to the starter then there is a ground that comes off the alt. that goes throughout the wire harness. The only body ground is that small one. The ones at the lights don't count, they are on the plastic buckets or hood.
Also Your control box needs a good ground to the body.
Keep the cables to the starter and shunt clean. Add some extra grounds and things should be OK.

Do a search on the auxillary grounding kit-or run your own 8-10 guage wires from the battery-alternator bracket, and dash and chassis. "There are 3 main components to the Humvee grounding system, Body ground, Chassis / Engine ground and the source ground. The body ground is located directly behind the heater controls in the dash panel. The main engine ground is on the drivers-side rear cylinder head and the main source ground is the battery of course. If you look at the schematic linked below, you will notice that all of the grounds tie into the one body ground (which is poor at best). "

http://www.flashoffroad.com/hmmwv/electrical/hmmwvGroundHarness/hmmwvGndHarness.htm

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got some battery cables and ran from the body to the frame. And frame to engine. And engine to body. So far every thing seems to be working great. Thanks for your replies

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks