• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towbar Y feet (3/4 in and 1 in feet) Safety

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Posted this in another thread but think it is going to get buried and also don't want to hijack that thread.

In reference to the Y feet for towbars (3/4 pins and 1" pins on the same foot).

I've always had folks say the Y feet were removed from the system for safety however I've never seen a safety message on them. I think this is the foot NSN--- 5340-01-046-4770 (2ea) and they were made for the towbar for the M113 FOVs (M578 ). If someone has a safety message concerning them, I'd like to see them.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw that thread and mentioned parts as well. I too would like to know if the Y feet are something to collect or avoid.

Rick

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The rarity I think is due to the rarity of the towbar they were issued with. That towbar was specifically for the M578. How many of those were out there in the 70s, 80s, and 90s? The towbar for them looked very, very similar to a standard medium. The lunette area looked identical. The legs were the same diameter but were non-extending. It was a piece of tubing from one end to the yoke ends. Then you could either mount a 1.5 inch feet for track or the Y feet with the 3/4 and 1 inch sides. The 1.5 inch feet I think are pretty rare birds also and haven't seen them in years.

Can't imagine feet made to work with a track are 'fragile' but stranger things have happened.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Many of the "Y" feet I have found(and use often) are the ones that work with the "Jr. towbar from ****". It is not adjustable length wise and uses inch and one eighth pins. The feet are made wider at the towbar end and have to be milled down in order to use with the "standard medium" tow bar.

Might this be what you are speaking of? I have bought and sold about 5 of these.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the 3/4" - 1" combo Y adapter came with the "light" adjustable tow bar. This is the predecessor of the medium tow bar. The 3/4 pins would have been used for towing M37s back in the day. I personally have used and abused the light tow bar for pulling 5 tons (with the Y adapter) with no failures (before I even knew a medium tow bar existed).

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carnac,
Great article regarding the importance of having the right tools for the job, let alone being trained to use them. I have a Robo Tool impact (24v), it is a life saver. Keep the research up, I have two tow bars with attachments. I've been looking for a set of Y feet to add to the tool set.
Gimpyrobb,
Chris , I owe you a phone call regarding a deuce J pipe. Looking for NOS unit.
JC

Last edited:

jesusgatos

I have a set of 3/4- 1 in adapters also, they have gotten a lot of use with my medium tow bar. I now have the single pin style of adapters also.
3/4 to 1" adapters? What are those all about?

My brother and I have a bunch of 3/4" feet and we'd like to have some spacers made that would allow us to use them with vehicles that have 1" shackle mounts, but I'm not sure if the 3/4" pins are strong enough. Tried contacting one of the manufacturers, but they haven't return my messages. Anybody have any data on the strength of the 3/4 & 1" pins?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I know this is an old email but I can save you the milling and bushing. The ones you have are 1-1/8". I'm looking for that type of foot and have some extra 1" ones that you're wanting. If you (or anyone else) wants to swap, I have several sets I'd be wanting to swap.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Based on the GA Rally B/S/T thread figured I'd bring this back up to keep that thread on topic. Here was/is the chance to spout off about Y feet.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks