• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

404.1 to a U1300

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello folks I need a bit of advise please. I currently own a 68 404.1 Swiss Army troop carrier in almost perfect condition, I love the truck and have become a very big fan of Unimogs because of this truck. NOW as usual I think I would like to upgrade to a U1300 with the turbocharged 366 Diesel engine, they look even one step more neat than the 404. I would be looking to trade in my 404.1 on the U1300, do you guys have any suggestions on who I should talk to in the USA who would be interested in doing something like this? Any suggestions would be appreciated.Karl

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a member here in central Illinois that has an AWESOME U1300! Maybe he'll chime in. His machine is VERY impressive! Good luck, think mog's might be an exciting adventure!

God bless,
Tony

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Karl,

You can probably guess I'm totally in favor of your upgrading to a U-1300! :)

For those few readers who are saying "what's a U-1300 Unimog", here's a really well written summary of the Unimog SBU group of vehicles including the U-1300. http://www.unimogcentre.com/unimog435.html

Trading might be a challenge. The 404 being a common introductory-level Unimog due to lower cost (usually less than 1/4 of the cost of a typical U1300), most 404 owners want to upgrade eventually. I don't know of many reasons to downgrade except size. The 404 is the ideal trail machine where an SBU would never fit.

Expedition Imports http://www.expedition-imports.com/ probably has the largest SBU inventory in the states. Scott just brought in several U1300's. Of course there are many other sellers here too.

If you are contemplating using your U1300 on the road mostly, then you might consider fast axle ratios and even the Claas overdrive. The OM366 turbo'd engine is a real jewel but the OM-352 is a solid engine, too, and actually revs higher (faster road speed) than the '366. If you can use your SBU for farm work, then getting an agri-equipped SBU with PTO's, multi-hydraulic circuits, and hitches front and rear really creates an awesome work machine. Agricultural Unimogs might be more plentiful in your neighborhood.

Bob

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob it was YOU that got me started on this NEW adventure to upgrade to the 1300! (Gee Thanks Right) LOL! I have looked over the website at EI and Scott seems like a very nice guy, I have currently purchased all my 404 parts from him, I also sent him an email a couple days ago asking if what my 404 is worth on a trade towards one the 1300s you mentioned Bob, I looked again last night and only saw one on his inventory and it had some rust going on. Bob its really simple, I want a U1300 EXACTLY like yours, the high speed axles and all. I will keep you posted on what Scott has to say Bob, and as always your input is always good!
Thanks
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks