• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anti corrosive battery terminal

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've seen them on some expensive boats that I've been in, but don't know how "proven" their function is.

Relative

Have 8 of these connectors on 4 8D batteries in my '95 motorhome. I pump them with dielectric grease and have never had a corrosion or connection problem. Nor have any of them shown any inclination whatsoever to come loose.

They came installed on the original batteries from the coach manufacturer. Never have found where I could buy more of them in any store. They are marked PRO-START T-400 and that doesn't google anywhere.

Mike :D

BKinzey

I found this info from somebody looking for them back in '95 :roll:

61 -- BATTERY POST CONNECTOR. Contact Point: Sgt James Cluka, Contracting Officer, (612) 632-7324, Fax (612) 632-7799. Notice of the Intent of the Government to place an order with Pro-Start Inc., P.O. Box 1295, Mansfield, Ohio 44901, for a Model T400 Battery Connector.

Looks like they probably went out of business :?:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the ad (Jason's link), "Electrical conductivity of this solid brass unit is almost 400% greater than that of lead clamps."

Problem is, the surface area provided by the brass set screws is only about 1/5th that of the lead clamp....maybe even less.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see any advantage of these, except maybe for the manufacturer!

We know that lead has a tendency to "flow" away under pressure. So you better don't forget to tighten those set screws once in a while ... and than try to use common clamps again, on those posts.... :shock:

Wire-brush everything clean, put some silicon paste around the battery posts and on top of the clamps after tightening and forget about any kind of corrosion. It has worked for us since the time we used to frequently drive our Jeeps to and into the ocean! That was... ooops! 30 years ago! :)

2cents

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the claims and the contact area, well.. 400% * 1/5 = 80%. I suppose then they are offering you the opportunity to be more certain of a good 80% connection instead of a less confident 100% connection. I dunno. I don't mind cleaning things from time to time, it is part of PMCS. Maybe once a year I have to clean the terminals. It's not really an issue for me.

FSBruva

I got the batteries with the threaded contacts and traditional posts. Left the protective covers on the posts, and all my leads are secured with the threaded nut.

Matt

houdel

I've seen those brass contacts advertised before, although I can't recall where, perhaps a marine supply shop. Pardon my ignorance, but the common lead split ring terminals have worked fine on Deuces for some 57 years now, and countless other civvy and other military vehicles for maybe a century or so. Why invent a new wheel when the existing one has worked fine for 100 years? Sure, they require a LITTLE maintenance from time to time, but so does everything else.

HINT - whenever I swap out a battery, I use that neat little wire brush gizmo that you can find at any auto parts store, Wally World, etc. for about two bucks with the combo internal wire brush to clean out the inside of the cable connector and the external wire brush to clean the battery terminal. Use a rag wetted with acetone or other solvent of your choice to wipe off any oil/grease on the terminal or connector, put the proper end of the gizmo in the cable end or over the terminal, rotate back and forth a few seconds, and all crud and corrosion disappears.

THEN I coat the cable connector and terminal with Plumbers Silicon Grease. This stuff is a little hard to find, True Value Hardware and most of the big box hardwares stores carry it but you will NEVER find it by yourself, most likely you will need to find a salesperson to locate it. Silicone grease is awesome stuff. It NEVER degrades, when you coat something with silicone grease it NEVER washes off or deteriorates. I have used it on electrical connections, nuts and bolts, even lug nuts for years. I have never had an electrical connector corrode or a bolted fastener seize up since I have started using it, even on exhaust and turbo fasteners.

BTW, don't even et me started on the GM side terminal battery configuration. That has got to be the worst "innovation" in automotive design since the Edsel!

ttomtt

anti corrosion battery terminals

blackdog said:
I have a few of these if anyone is interested.
Some time ago 2006 you indicated you had some battery terminals. Are they still available?
Thanks, Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks