• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Moving the spare tire carrier and breather assembly.

THE MACHINIST

I know anything can be done but how tough would it be move the spare tire lift and hydraulic assembly controls (dont know if the control panel would be required)as well as the breather to be able to put a shelter further forward so I can have larger living quarters and pass through.

Thanks
Jamie

DSD277

Simply put, a real pita. Where are you going to put the tire ? 340lbs, 46” dia x 16”.
The control panel is also for the cab tilt, suspension pulldown (not needed) and for the cab rear air shocks. And besides the air filter, the hydraulic air motor jack pump and reservoir is in the middle.
To make an effective pass through, you need to control the cab movement and provide for the swing of the cab when tilting..

Depending on how big of pass throu, you could make a tunnel between the air stack and the tire and over the hydraulic pump.

Easier options is to go longer out the rear, or buy a Steyr instead :;):)

THE MACHINIST

I am not sure where to put the tire. I have seen them on the steyr under the frame also on a custom mount in from of the grill or on the enclosure on the rear using a hoist of some sort. Is the hydraulic jack motor and reservoir run off a jack shaft or belt and pulley? Maybe put it remote and power it with an electric motor. The pass through I was going to make large enough for an average size person to be able to crawl through comfortably. I am planning on having some extra hangover at the rear but don't want to lose my breakover angle.

Yes the Steyr would certainly be easier just more expensive. The 25% import tax is really a killer.

Thanks

Jamie

DSD277

You are not going to be able to hang a 340lb tire off the front of the truck. You need to study a truck in person and not make comparisons between the LMTVs and the Steyrs in pictures. Once you've studied a truck, you'll determine it's not practical. Some things done on Steyrs and other Euro trucks (I had a SBU Mog) just can not be done on a FMTV

THE MACHINIST

That is disheartening to hear.

Unfortunately where I live in the sticks there aren't any lmtv's to look at the local guard unit has the hemt.
I will have to try to look at them if I get to spokane.

Sure wish there was a way to get around the 25% import tax.

DSD277

You can go though all the folders and sub folders here of my documentation of my FDT build.
I pretty much reference everything whether I needed it or not. Maybe they'll help you understand better.
It's a MTV, but other than the numbers of tires, everything else is close to the same. The waistline are at the same location for the LVAD cab and full cab
I think there may be enough room for a large enough tunnel where I said before, at the waistline up.

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/dsd277/library/FMTV?sort=2&page=1

THE MACHINIST

Thank you very much for letting me look at your pictures. And taking the time to answer my questions. Your 1094 sure makes your Haflinger look small. You went through a ton of work to make it look as nice as it does now! After looking at your pics of course it now leaves me with new questions. Do you think the cab on the 1078 is on a different pivot point or entirely different mounting system than the steyr? I just wonder how they manage to tilt their cab manually like a conventional tilt cab semi. Obviously our system is easier on the guy on the ground but I wonder if the same thing could be done with some heavy duty air lift shocks put in the right place.

Thanks again for your thoughts and putting up with my ramblings.

Jamie

DSD277

The intent for all the pictures was for a general reference for others also. Hopefully, some of the odd pics answers questions.
The cab sheetmetal was about the only thing that was the same, and don't remember the details of the Steyr tilt system. The pivoting should be the same, but the Steyr wouldn't have needed the rear air shock the FMTV used to help with height reduction.
In general, the Steyr is a lighter more "basic" truck, whereas the FMTVs are more complicated just with the addition of air brakes and all of it's components. Then add the components for the cab reduction, compressing the suspension, power cab tilt and tire hoist.
By complicated, I am referring to more parts, and parts take room, and once an air brake system was added, all the other system were gravy.

A little trivia note, at the end of BAE's run of the FMTV, they only had 4 Steyr parts on them.

THE MACHINIST

Does the hydraulic air motor pump create the air pressure for the brakes or is it a stand alone system for the tire and cab lift?

i guess It would have been too tough to just put in an auto tranny and leave the rest a steyr. Or at least a lot more than 4 parts.

Thank you again for your time and expertise.

Jamie

DSD277

The air motor is for the hydraulic pump for the tilt/tire/pulldown. There is a backup manual jack also.
A standard type air brake system is from what all the other air systems draw from.
I'm far from an expert but learn most from looking at the truck and reading manuals, and following the logic of construction.
From your last comment, you are assuming the FMTV had more in common with the Steyr than they did. If you took the cab away, the rest is totally different.
BAE worked to eliminate Steyr supplied parts until there were only 4 left on the LTAS cab at the end. I was told the windshield washer reservoir was one them... go figure. :lol:

THE MACHINIST

Well after all it sounds like it might be doable if I can come up with a way to remove all that and still be able to raise the cab without blowing out my back.

I wasn't aware that they went to such great lengths to make it not a steyr. But now that I am It is what it is.

With the prices they have been going for lately I should be able to build the camper part for the difference in price between the lmtv 1078 and what the 12m18 would cost plus shipping plus import tax.

Thank you again for answering my questions and good luck with the sale of your 1094.

Jamie

DSD277

You aren't going to tilt the cab by hand. Its over 1500 lbs, and the pivots aren't where they offer any counterbalance. Its amazing what little trivia you can find while passing time with a little light reading of a TM. :lol:
Hopefully, I can find FDT a good home. It is large

THE MACHINIST

Hmmmm that makes it more difficult would be nice to see how steyr did it. My first thought is to do large air shocks like giant lift gate ones coupled with something heavy I know you said the tire would be too heavy. But that is my first thought. Another I had was add a front winch and build a cantilevered roller to hook the winch hook to.

Thanks again

Jamie

DSD277

From this pic, it appears Steyr used the same ram and only a manual hydraulic pump. Do a google search on Steyr 12M18 and then images. there is more now than 2 years ago :)
But I do have an advantage of knowing what to look at:lol:
http://data3.primeportal.net/trucks/gabor_fodor/steyr_12m18/images/steyr_12m18_26_of_40.jpg
S&S just built on it from there. Tilting the LMTV cab with the manual jack isn't all that bad, but the tire is another thing
You could mount the tire on the back of your shelter with a small crane. Look at pics of Unimog expedition vehicles for idea.
Remove the complete spare tire carrier framework that goes all the way across the truck, may only need a small notchout in the shelter for the air cleaner... just thinking without looking

DSD277

With all the trouble you're going to, it would be easier to completely remove all of the assembly that the tire carrier, air cleaner and encases the front lift outriggers, strip that are to the frame and make new mounting brackets for the needed assemblies. That is all overbuilt and the air cleaner could be mounted onto a new framework a little lower ( as long as it didn't have the hydraulic tank for the PTO).
You really need to plan a road trip to visually see the complete picture of that area of the truck. You are missing things that are quite evident in person, or at least your eyes will be more intense with all the time and distance invested.;)
You will be far better off working from the frame with the existing components and new brackets than to only remove the least amount and fight with things
I need to get back to trying to find things wrong with my new Pinzgauer :mrgreen:

THE MACHINIST

I certainly agree on looking one over will have to do that soon. Does anyone know anyone in the guard in spokane Washington? Or coure d Alene ID? I will make a road trip but I don't know if you don't know someone if you can just walk in and say hey can I really look one of your trucks over with a fine tooth comb.

I plan on removing whatever I can to move the camper box as close to the cab.
What are you doing to your Pinzgauer ? I like the 712 a lot a if they were bigger or I didn't have kids I think it could make an awesome camper.
Thank you again for all your insight and thoughts.

Jamie

THE MACHINIST

That thing is gorgeous! Congratulations. Would really be a blast checking out its capabilities.

If you happen to be in the right place at the right time and hear of a steyr 12m18 they looked at once then forgot about and you don't buy it for yourself please let me know.

DSD277

Thank you, I think so too :) . I've played with all my other Pinzes and this one is just to rare and worth too much to risk damage to prove nothing

The word was that there was a 12M18 here, and it went back a long time ago.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks