• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mule Identification?

Flatlander

I am the proud new owner of a Mule! It has the 2 cylinder engine, 4 wheel steering, and the remains of a pull start. The plate has been painted, but I can see "2 66" stamped into the plate.

How can I tell what model it is? (A2-A4) Do I need to sand the plate?

I intend to restore the Mule to original...Bill Watson the best place for parts?

Oh, the excitement... :D

nickd

Do you have a square hole cover near the right side of the drivers seat? If so that will rule out an aluminum bed and the possibility someone converted an A5 to 4WS. From the date, it looks like you have an A5 converted to 4WS .

Here is some information from Davids site

M274 MODELS

11,240 mules were made and approximately 5,000 were destroyed or left in Vietnam.

M274 Willys-2,452 built 1956 to 1960 A04-53 engine (4 cyl)
M274-A1 Willys-1,905 built 1962 to 1964 A04-53 engine (4 cyl)
M274-A2 Bowen McLaughlin/York-3,609 built 1964 to 1967 A0-42 engine (2 cyl)
M274-A3 Result of installation of A0-42 engine into M274
M274-A4 Result of installation of A0-42 engine into M274-A1 A
M274-A5* Baifield Industries-2,400 built 1965 to 1969 A0-42 engine (2 cyl)
M274-A5* Brunswick Corp. 874 of these were built from 1968 to 1970 A0-42 engine (2 cyl)* Two wheel steering

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flatlander

Thanks! I do have the door by the driver's seat...maybe the date was stamped when the motor was replaced? I'll sand the plate and see if I can get any more info...

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flatlander, Sounds like you've got an A2 to me.

I sold one just like the pic Kenny posted to CGarbee last year. That one is pretty complete looking. Kenny, you should buy it. They're a blast. Of course, those tires and 2WS is rough...

Flatlander

Yeah, I think so too...I'll be starting a ground up bed off restoration with a motor rebuild, steering gear rebuild, axle rebuild, and a correct magnesium friendly paint job. I'll post lots of pics!

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill Watson is by far the best for parts. Kenny, is that the mule in Lake City? If so i'd guess very expensive since he wanted 15K for his goat. just curious.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah thats it! I have a feeling that the prices may come down a bit. Hawthorne the elder has passed away and Mike was bound by his pricing policy.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that. I definately saw that though. The elder really set the rules. There were some nice rigs there, hopefully some get restored now! They had a nice assortment from WW2 and up. Guess i'll have to stop by again in July. :lol:

Flatlander

So, here are the pictues of my new Mule. It's a little rough, but I'm planning a complete rebuild. It's missing some parts, of course. The previous owner built an engine guard, a pedal group, and added a steering wheel from an old car. The fuel tank is from something else, too. A crank start has been added. The engine cover has been made out of diamond plate aluminum. Granted, I have a lot of work to do, but I'm looking forward to it!

Attachments

Charlie

I like that engine guard, if you are considering replacing it with an orignal, I might be interested in buying it from you for my "yard" mule.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks