• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hand held Multi-Meter

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need a meter to do some electrical testing on some gen sets, my 5 ton and also my house wiring(new Mig Welder want a dedicated circuit for it.) So I need a meter to test 12 volt to 240 volts systems will most of them do this??? I have done some house wiring but I always used one of those little pocket clip jobs to tell be what was safe to touch. Now I want to upgrade for the trucks and gensets. Any help is appreciated.
James G.

NEIOWA

Any of the multirange (make sure has AC and DC) will do what you need. Even the cheapies. But spend a few extra $ (like $40-100) and get a decent meter with a armoured case that may survive your dropping it. A digital meter is nice (vs analog/needle). HomeDepot etc will have what you need.

Simpson is goldplated name but quite expensive.

Sounds like a layman's guide to circuits might also be a good investment.

TedG

I use Fluke's dvm like 175 or 177, over $100 but very good and dependable! Some have a thermal coupler on them which is nice to verify temperatures as well.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I really liked my Beckman HD100 but someone else liked it better. Now I'm stuck with a Blue Point (elcheapo snap-on). It's worked without fail for many years but the Beckeman was much nicer and more durable.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ditto on the Fluke AND the pawn shop. Picked one up fr $25.00.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
on the cheap side, fry's has a cheap digital for $10.. also rat shack has the good olde analog-type, can't go wrong there. a 'good' meter starts around $250 and up, but you might not notice the difference working on deuces and 240V..

depends on what else besides ohms, ac and dc volts, and amps you want to measure, and how acurate you have to be.

steelandcanvas

Being in the electrical trade for over 25 years, I've seen alot of DVM's. Bite the bullet and buy a Fluke, you won't be sorry and maybe just the last meter you will buy.

comdiver

I'm in the same boat as you are. I have a good one for work where I need a little more information. The Harbor Freight ones are great and when they get tired, toss them. They are not the same but the cheap one will work for a lot of projects.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks