• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spare Tire Hoist Installed

TedG

On my M1037, the spare tire rack is a swing away but this type also requires one lift a 180 pound tire up to it :x So I installed a plateform for a jerry can holder and then changed my mined and added this military generator hoist to the plate form :D Now I can lift the tire or other heavy objects to bed of the truck. The tire rack swings away and the hoist can still lift items to the bed :D Now my back or gut won't blow out :lol: Also, the hoist's pipe portion is removeable/stowable incase I want to put the cover on the truck. My version of stow and go :lol:

The hoist has a 500 pound rating and uses a resistive hand crank drive. Very easy to operate!

Enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice, looks good! How heavy are those HMMWV rims and tires? I think a crane on the arse end of a pickup make a great addition anyways....

BKinzey

His post mentions something about a 180 pound tire. I'm pretty sure a HMMWV tire, rim & run-flat tops out at about 100 pounds :wink:

TedG

BKinzey,

I did mis-post...sorry. The OEM sticker lists it at 155 pounds complete with radial runflats and A2 rim. So I was 25 pounds off :wink:

Last night I also setup my 2" receiver while allowing the use of the pintle hook... :)

Attachments

TedG

Hi Everyone,

I picked up the NOS hoist last year from a surplus guy in Indiana. Only one I have ever seen and it is nice little hoist. I could not pass it up!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BKinzey said:
His post mentions something about a 180 pound tire. I'm pretty sure a HMMWV tire, rim & run-flat tops out at about 100 pounds :wink:
Oops, duh. Shows how observant I am when I have a half case of beer in me....

BKinzey

True, I'm thinking of the Bias-plys I have with weights others have mentioned. I'm sure the run-flats, magnesium or rubber, have different weights as well.

Recently I've seen pictures of a new HMMWV rim which has a higher load rating. Looks the same as the 12 bolt but has an additional small hole like the air stem and has a different O-ring.

TedG

The 5 tires and 5 rims I have on this M1037 are the latest version, dated 07 and factory balanced. These rims have stainless steel studs, nuts and a new o-ring. The extra hole is for proper alignment during assembly. The tires are also upgraded for better sidewall performance due to the current weight loads the hmmwv's are being subjected to.

You can see the sst stud/nuts and holes in the above pictures :D

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That weight issue is a severe problem for the UAH's we weighed one going out the gate at the FOB in Iraq and it topped out over 13,000 pounds with weapons and crew.

blackdog

That tire hoist looks like the kind one would find on an M931 or M123. I think I have one or two of them if anyone is interested.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks