• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Reverse engineering the Chem Shelter Trailer

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well, I took all of last week off and caught up on some projects.
One that I had been picking away at was rendering the Chemical Shelter Trailer down to it's basic components.
I had removed and sold a lot of the aluminum that was strapped on or easy to remove.
This time I had to arm myself with the 3/4 drive impact wrench, BFH, prybars and the ever-popular "blue tipped speed wrench".
I pulled the engine, generator, air pump (used to inflate the shelter) and AC compressor in one shot but it has a lot of aluminum so it will be broken down further.
It has a large fuel tank mounted in the bottom of the trailer and I guesstimate it to be around fifty gallons. It will prob be used as a bed mounted auxillary fuel tank for my new deuce.
It has two large copper/aluminum condensors. a multi-fuel heater and a lot of copper and brass left in it.
If the price of scrap stays high I will probably go pick up the other seven and scrap them out since no one except Littlebob wanted one whole.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of interest in the engine either so I will probably use it on some hairbrained contraption I am thinking about building.
If I get the other ones and scrap them out I will sell the 105 trailers to interested parties.

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
does the green fan in "scrap.jpg" have its own motor such as electric? Might be intersted in that!

On the control box, you got a lot of real purty circuit breakers there.. probably DC?
MV electrical hackers take heed, those are very good to use as switches and with them, no fuses needed!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Emmado...I don't have the specs with me, I'm 150 miles from the shop. I can get them to you Sat. I believe it is a 220 volt, 3 phase.

OPCON....the fan motor is an AC 220, 3 phase, I think. I will keep most of the electrical stuff since there isn't much scrap value in it and, as you observed, the DC breakers are useful.

DomUnique...it is an 4 cylinder, 85 CI, air-cooled, gasser. I think they used them on a lot of gennys and maybe the Mule. It only has 28 hours on it. It cranked and ran but the carb leaked. I have a 24 volt battery for it. It does need an exhaust crossover pipe.

Go back and look at my previous posts about this unit, I think they show the control panel and the data plate.

If I don't sell the engine I might put it in a "go buggy" to run around the homestead.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh so it was in a picture called 'scrap' just to taunt me!! looks like it would move some air.

mangus580

Kenny is right, thats a 4A084 engine...

Interseting the AC compressor is the same as a mid 80's chevy truck HD compressor

mangus580

not a boat anchor at all.... if it is indeed the one I think it is, you can use it as an air compressor.... :) That is what alot of guys use for onboard air on their trucks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious, but why are you scrapping the trailers instead of restoring them? Most of us do the latter. Seems to me a chemical shelter may be a neat thing to have, weren't those the inflatable ones that can double as big tents?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ferroe.....I think the fuel tank is 50 gallons. If you can find the TM it prob tells. Someone posted the number on the original thread. Check all my posts to find it. I'm going to keep this tank but if I scrap out any more I'll save you one.

Will......There are a lot of connetors on the trailer. Send me a close up shot and the size and I'll check.

Maddawg....I offered these trailers for $900.00 and only sold one. They are worth that for the scrap and the value of the trailer. From what I understand it is a PITA to set up.
These had also been out in the weather for a long time and the plastic ducting was pretty rough.
I still have the inflatable shelter for mine. It might make a cool toy for the kids.
Since the price of scrap went up I don't know if I can get any more of them since my option to buy them at the original price has expired.
If anyone wants one let me know and I'll check it out. I may be able to cut the price slightly since I won't have to pay to have them delivered to my shop now.

littlebob

Wreckerman,
Don't throw away the black cable in the second picture away.The wifes dog ate mine when I had the shelter set up in the backyard.
littlebob

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Update on the reverse engineering

I finally got all of the major components out of of the chemical shelter trailer today.
I used every tool in my shop, my entire vocabulary of profanity and what little bit of patience I have.
To have been made by the lowest bidder that contraption was over-engineered to the extreme.
Some of the stuff is too good (in my mind) to go to the scrap yard.
The inflation pump is made by Paxton (of supercharger fame).
If anyone is interested in the items pictured let me know.
The trailer is for sale too....holes included for free.
If you live between NE ALa and Columbia, SC, I can deliver when I go to Fort Jackson to pick up my deuce.
If you need a better photo of a pictured item PM me and I'll get one to you.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks