• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting a cab cover?

tklm539

I am getting ready to begin to spray my m35. Does anyone know if a vinyl cab cover can be sprayed as well or will the paint just peal off?

Thanks

Tom

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck painted a "bikini" top, don't know if it is canvas or vinyl.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Canvas can be painted, I would not think a vinyl could. GMA's are cheap new so why bother? :wink:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Painting vinyl is like painting a garbage bag. As soon as the paint dries, and you move the plastic, the paint will start peeling.

Only exception to the rule are the several plastic/rubber paints that aren't really paints, they bond with the plastics and actually dye the color a different color. The result is "inside" the plastic, so you can move and wrinkle the plastic item as much as you want and it won't flake off.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Painting a cab cover?

I don't know if it's classified s paint but GMA does color their vinyl tops. Green is the base and the other 2 colors are applied.

rdixiemiller

RE: Re: RE: Painting a cab cover?

Vinyl can be painted with the proper paints. The main problem is "plasticizer migration". The chemicals that keep the vinyl flexible tend to come to the top slowly and make the paint turn loose.

papercu

paint

I have several pieces of military tops that I use for drop cloths while painting small parts. I use the dollar spay cans from the Dollars Store and so far(some go back as far 5 years) there has been no peeling or "plasticizer migration". Wayne

rdixiemiller

RE: paint

I have seen yinyl painted with Krylon, mainly tire covers. It seems to work really well. Alkyd enamels will normally turn loose. I would try Krylon on a section on the very top and see how it does.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, someone had to ask. What kind of paint is krylon? Also, what kind of paint does Maaco and Earl Sheib use? Both stick to tires very well.

rdixiemiller

Krylon is a spray paint that sticks to just about anything. You find it at most hardware stores. It will work on tee-shirts, tire covers, and quite a few different plastics. Pretty cheap, comes in many colors, including flat brown, black, and green. It has an agressive solvent package that etches the plastic just a bit and really makes it stick. I have seen golf carts painted with Krylon and it held up really well. As with anything else, your mileage may vary. There may be some esoteric additives in milspec vinyl that I am not aware of that may cause trouble.

Pinz25086

Try SEM Color Coat. http://www.sem.ws/category.php?category_id=36 It is a vinyl paint that was designed to be used in changing the interior color of auto interiors. I work as an artist for a major theme park in Orlando and we use this all of the time. If it can hold up to use in a park with millions of people touching it, it will hold up on your vinyl top. You can get it at most wholesale auto paint stores both as a spray can or in quarts. Follow instructions and you will be pleased.
Good Luck,
Wayne

papercu

paint

Krylon is a brand name. It's found most anywhere paint is sold and in Kmart and Wal-mart stores. http://www.krylon.com/
They have a special this month at the website, buy two cans(Krylon H20™ Latex spray paint) and receive a 5.00 reward card. Wayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks