• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ACMAT trucks

iatractor

Are there any of the French-made ACMAT's in collector's hands on this side of the pond? Searching the forums, there is a thread about one of our British members acquiring one from the Irish Defense Forces. But I didn't see anything about them in North America. Thought there might be a remote chance that some wound up in Canada and trickled down here. Kind of an interesting machine. Looks like an in-breed between a deuce and an m715. Lots of configurations in 4x4 and 6x4.

iatractor

acmat.jpg This is one configuration. Most are left hand drive, but the Irish ones are right hand. Some are 6x6. Lots of unique vehicles built on this chassis. Some are firetrucks too.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Acmat VLRA.

Very cool, and capable, trucks. The former Irish ones, being the only right-hand-drive units built (as far as I know) are popular in Britain with collectors. There are quite a few in collector hands in Ireland also, including a four-door cab.
There are short and long wheelbase 4x4's. The 6-wheeled ones are 6x6.

Cheers

PS added some pictures of VLRA's in Irish service

Attachments

Last edited:

fesm_ndt

View attachment 475671 This is one configuration. Most are left hand drive, but the Irish ones are right hand. Some are 6x6. Lots of unique vehicles built on this chassis. Some are firetrucks too.
that's mine :-D. I went and saw it last week at the restoration place.... going to start rebuild shortly

Acmat%203.jpg

Pretty sure at least one in the US as was one in this movie http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_150455-ACMAT-VLRA-TPK.html?p=acmat+brave

the are much bigger than they look.
http://www.vehicules-hors-serie.fr/Site_hors_serie/Dossier_Acmat/page_Acmat_menu.htm
http://www.vehicules-hors-serie.fr/Site_hors_serie/Dossier_Acmat/TPK_420_SM3.htm
http://www.vehicules-hors-serie.fr/Site_hors_serie/Dossier_Acmat/TPK_420_VCT.htm

dmetalmiki

Acmat

Had one of those found it noisy and too much vibration and rather slow for long journeys. (more than a deuce) They have the 6 cylinder perkins direct injection deisel, some slighter better ones are turboed. (and they will tolerate a contam mix)
They are based closely on Dodge running gear. (so a lot of parts will fit)

Attachments

fesm_ndt

Had one of those found it noisy and too much vibration and rather slow for long journeys. (more than a deuce) They have the 6 cylinder perkins direct injection deisel, some slighter better ones are turboed. (and they will tolerate a contam mix)
They are based closely on Dodge running gear. (so a lot of parts will fit)
Your old truck, as is the initial post in this thread is now my truck :-D. I posted latest pics last night but they are being moderated.

I had a quick look in the Dodge manuals and could not directly find anything of parts that are exactly interchangeable. It would be nice to find some parts that fit as takes ages to get bits from France.

dmetalmiki

Your old truck, as is the initial post in this thread is now my truck :-D. I posted latest pics last night but they are being moderated.

I had a quick look in the Dodge manuals and could not directly find anything of parts that are exactly interchangeable. It would be nice to find some parts that fit as takes ages to get bits from France.
Small world..I hope you enjoy that truck more than I did..It was impressive looking but I found it rather cumbersome for the size, even with the power steer etc. I did think it would be a big improvement with a big 6 or V8 petrol. If I had kept it I would have put the allmost new V8 deisel F350 engine (spare for my ambulance) in it.
If you check, I am allmost sure The brake shoes gearbox and transfer and other components are the same as the old dodges. Better and nice air brakes though I did find. And we fitted a huge Truck heater in the cab.

dmetalmiki

P.S. Any chance of "story" as to how you obtained the acmat and where it is located now?We really look forward to seeing any pictures of our old ACMAT again. There were quite a few at the war and peace show.

fesm_ndt

P.S. Any chance of "story" as to how you obtained the acmat and where it is located now?We really look forward to seeing any pictures of our old ACMAT again. There were quite a few at the war and peace show.
I bought it off a guy Birmingham and started to pull it apart last October to do a quick repaint and ship to Australia, as I was told "no rust". In reality it has a lot of rust hidden by body filler which was starting to fall out.

As I don't live in the UK I have had to send to a restoration workshop to blast and cut the rust out and repair. But it is still waiting to start as the workshop owner is quite busy, but the end result should be worthwhile as am now going into more detail than I had originally intended. It will also not be a sm3 once it is finished.

Last edited:

fesm_ndt

and waiting patiently to get blasted and welded back up. I bought a better set of wings (fenders) which are waiting on a courier to be delivered...

Acmat%202.jpgAcmat%203.jpgAcmat 1.jpg

dmetalmiki

Glad the truck is coming allive again, and being properly done...and the restoration going according to plan. Thanks for the pictures, keep them coming.

saddamsnightmare

June 22nd, 2015.

Gotta give the French points for inspired snout and fender architecture, but then they built some odd looking Citroen's, Renaults and military SUMB's......:roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks