• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WWII Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton 4X4 telephone const. & maint. truck

relicrescue

chevy K-43 1.5 ton telephone.jpgHey all, I am pleased to join this forum. Anyone tell what the value might be for this truck. I discovered it sitting in a pasture in western Oklahoma, and am trying to acquire it. Worth some hundreds of dollars just in weight I suppose.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking Chevy. A decent price for that would be around $1500. Less of course would be better.

relicrescue

Thanks NDT for the reply. The owner tells me the truck has been sitting for "decades" and that it supposedly ran when parked. If i do get it bought, it's gonna be a b*%#h to drag home:)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, you can spend all day in the pasture trying to get something like that ready to flat tow on the highway. You can always tell how long something has been sitting from how far the tires are sunk into the ground. Does it have the big winch in the bed? I think this is another of the phone trucks where the gin poles (when stowed) prevent the driver's door from opening. Check out vehiclesofvictory.com for more info on Chevy ton and a halfs.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
That looks good. Please tell me your plan is to restore it and not just scrap/hack it up.

I can't help on the value. Just not knowledgeable enough about the uncommon WWII stuff.

relicrescue

Yeah, I saw pictures of this truck on steel soldiers site, I think, and stowed poles would have blocked the door. No, no I would never scrap something like this,
and in fact, I found this while looking for relic cars and pickups to buy and save from the crusher.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from OKC.

How far is the recovery? If it will roll there are a couple of members that have trailers it will fit on.

combat32

Cool truck, if the motor is stuck I have had good luck using charcoal lighter fluid down the cylinders, as long as there is no water in the block. You might be surprised but those tires might still hold air, try airing them up before recovery, makes it a bit easier.

relicrescue

Recovery distance approx. 45 miles. Don't know yet if it will roll or not, but it is kinda penned in and will have to be dragged aways just to get it close to a trailer. Yeah, it is surprising how long a rubber tube will last and still hold air, but be careful if the tire has rotted underground. I have used diesel to unstick one and lighter fluid sounds like a better idea. No plans to restore, too many projects now, really just wanting to get it bought, transported to a safe location, and then placed into the hands of someone who would restore it.

relicrescue

statis update

Well, I now have the truck at my place. Recovered it with my old duece and a combine trailer. 90 miles round trip on back roads, no pleasure drive, but made it no problems. Cleared out huge rat's nest from cab, tranny came unstuck easily enough, and motor also free. Truck has had air cleaner with good element tightly affixed all these years(owner said it had sat forty years) and carburator looks pristine inside. Plan to examine points time/weather allowing, and install battery to see if she will crank and fire.

Attachments

relicrescue

Mike, thanks for saying so, my duece is a yard truck, uninsured, untagged, and uncapeable, but she got the job done. I farted with the chevy this afternoon, filed the points, no spark, took out the added on ignition switch and cleaned the connections and got juice to the coil, dribbled a little gas in the carb and turned the key.... sob started and ran till gas ran out of carb. Wow, couldn't believe it after truck had sat for 40 years, but engine oil puking out a crummy line to a remote oil filter.... I presume. So, now wondering about these lines to remote filters??No plans to restore, as too many projects ongoing now.

Last edited by a moderator:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, thanks for saying so, my duece is a yard truck, uninsured, untagged, and uncapeable, but she got the job done. I farted with the chevy this afternoon, filed the points, no spark, took out the added on ignition switch and cleaned the connections and got juice to the coil, dribbled a little gas in the carb and turned the key.... sob started and ran till gas ran out of carb. Wow, couldn't believe it after truck had sat for 40 years, but engine oil puking out a crummy line to a remote oil filter.... I presume. So, now wondering about these lines to remote filters??No plans to restore, as too many projects ongoing now, anyone interestered in buying??
That's great news!

Now that you've announced that she's for sale, please post it in the CLASSIFIED Forum (see site rules) and you'll probably have quick success in finding a worthy restorer for the project.

:popcorn:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks