• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A2 Wiring

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK folks bear with me on this. I have this deal cooking on a jeep. Can anyone see a problem in me adapting an m151A2 harness to this CJ5? I know about the foot starter and the like. The Jeep will probably remain 12V but will get composite lights and the such. Only way I could switch it to 28V is if I could find a distributor from an M114 track. Will the 151 harness be OK with 12 stuff?

acetomatoco

You putting a Chebby V8 in the CJ5?... I bet Vintage wiring of Maine could make you a harness to do the job if you send them a schematic of what you wish to do... Remember that with 12 volts you need twice the amperage to get the same power thru the wire...and a larger physical size wire may be needed to prevent resistance heating.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yanno ACE, thats what I was kinda thinking as far as the amperage. I wasn't going to put the SBC in it but I would if I could find the distributor to do it. Then there was the thought of the 6.2 since they are coming out by the dozen. I don't know where I'm going to go with this. I also considered making the entire Jeep 28V and just stepping down the voltage at the distributor.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, there are tables that will tell you how much amp capacity a given size wire will carry, so 16G is good for 18 amps and 14G is good for 25 amps.
You shouldn't have any problems unless you mount some BIG lights somewhere and then you can install relays to handle the heavy currents.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks