• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GCI Paint Ratio

tklm539

I know I have read it, but now I cannot find the post. I am finally ready to paint my M35. Primer has been sitting four 3 days. I used acetone to thin the primer at a 4 to 1 ratio. It worked very well. I am curious what I should be using to thin the paint and at what ratio is best. It is GCI and I am using an HVLP gun.

Thanks

Tom

67Beast

I've been using the recomendation from Army Jeep Parts for several years and all my paint has turned out great.

Painting Tips:

Keep it clean, take your time and enjoy yourself. Be safe and wear your respirator !
If you have any specific information that would be of
help to others, Email us and we will review it for possible posting.
THANKS

tip
AJP recommends the reduction of Gillespie Coatings with a
SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER. This is accomplished at a ratio of 2:1,
paint to reducer. Most brands are fine, such as NAPA or PPG, etc; just as
long as its a SYNTHETIC ENAMEL REDUCER.

PS, your decals will be on the way today (6/11)

67Beast

Tom, I just sent your decals out with our daily UPS so look for them in a few days. I also cut you a couple of extra stars for the trailer out of the drop material while I was at it. Hope you like them, enjoy.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were adding hardener to the mix, what proportion would it be then?

Armada - would proportion did you use, paint, thinner and hardener? Your results turned out great!

Bill W

I used Martin senour synthetic hard (8870) and I reduced it 2 to 1 with xylene (home depot) as what was recomended on the back of the gilliespie can,you can also use toulene. Gillespie recomends not reducing it more then 3 parts paint to 1 part reducer but the hardner will really thicken up the batch. I painted my M-37 and M-35/45 this way and its held up fine ( Click on my www. icon for pics ). The hardner will make the paint ( 24087 ) a little more glossy

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure I'll get scorned for this but I mix my Gillespie 3 parts paint to one part mineral spirits. Never had a problem thus far. Use a cheap toss away Binks 7 copy.

Bill W

Kenny
I also had a friend who used mineral spirits when he painted his Gama-Goat. But you need something stronger then MS when using a synthetic hardner.
Also I would recommend to NOT use any gun with less then a 1.8mm tip as the gilliespie is a heavy paint. I use a 2qt remote gun from Northern ( $79.00 ) that has a 2.2mm and it works great.

littlebob

I,m not sure if I'm spelling it right but I've benn thinning mine with the Xylene about 10% Thats what the people at Rapco told me and its working well so far.
littlebob

CGarbee

My thoughts on painting with Gillespie are located at:
http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/paint.htm

I think that I've painted something like a dozen trucks and a bunch of trailers over the past decade alone... All of them are still looking good even though they live outside. Naptha and Xylene are my reducers of choice depending on temperature/humidity...

Armada

Thanks Mike.
Reduce the Gillespie paint as stated by the manufacturer, 2:1. http://www.armyjeepparts.com/ (Click on GCI PAINT).
I'm not an expert on painting by any means, but I now use a hardener and it makes a very noticable difference in the quality of the paint. It is only slightly more glossy, but still lusterless. The hardener will help in the 'repairability' of the paint, along with the longevity of the paint, ie. fading, chipping, scratching, etc. It cures faster too, and cleaning the hardened paint (washing the truck, trailer, or whatever), is also easier. I have noticed in just 2 years the difference between using a hardener and not. The paint that I did not use the catalyst with has started to fade and scratches easier, while the paint that has hardener in it, has not.
I use PPG Starthane Star 1000 Catalyst. Follow the directions on the can.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks