• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Haspin 2008. Doing this one a little different

Westech

CPL
Well Kids thanks for comming to Haspin 2007. I think we had a good time and Im sure lots of stories to tell.
For next year I placed my self incharge of geting it going again, and have some ideas on how to make it better.
I think where we camped is working out well for the most part so I dont think I want to change that, but I would like to bring down a couple picknick tables to set up under the shelter. One thing I was thinking of was to have a fee to attend, kinda like Aberdeen. The fee would include the week pass to the park, atleast 3 meals, soda and water, prob fire wood also and what ever else we think of. let me know what you guys think and I will get it set.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How about doing it in the spring or fall when the weather is nice(r)?

:p

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The weather was GREAT this past weekend, couldn't get better!

As far as your ideas, Westy, sounds like a plan. I don't mind a fee as long as it is reasonable. Perhaps T-shirts ahead of time. I have a kitchen "chuck wagon" box I can bring to put all the cooking stuff in. If we could get a C.Garbee-type pit cooker setup going that might be a winner. Also, for the evenings, I can jury-rig up movie night, with a movie screen and a projector running off a genset. My friend Stanley from further south has a similar setup running off a genset and it makes camping a little more comfortable.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Hey, I can bring the bird so you can teach it some more interesting phrases! Maybe even some cones to mark our area, so we don't get too crowded.

Westech

CPL
LOL Gimp Im still getting poo over that! You better take it ez on what I said or were both dead.

As for as cooking goes thinking of doing a couple of days. Maybe like friday and saturday, doing 3 hots. Do a breakfast thing, set time for showers and such. Then doing a good run in the late morning comming back and doing a lunch and then some relax time and another run for late afternoon. Come back and relax and cook dinner set aside time for bs'in and a late night run. (have to park trucks up top after the lunch run so we can get out in the park with out having to sneak out)

Also Im thinking Aberdeen and Haspin should be spread out a bit more. Aberdeen wont change so I guess its up to us. So we can do early in the year or later but I think because of the huge turn out in aberdeen Haspin suffered a bit. I know next year I will not be able to do Haspin if I go to Aberdeen. The boss was not too fond of me taking off so much in a short time.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, a week out of a month, for consecutive months is not good as far as the boss was concerned here too. I like the idea of schedules, but if someone's fiance breaks a rig, and it needs to be towed out by two other trucks, that can throw the schedule out the window. See if you can order an "easy button" from Staples for your next trip through Chi-town, it might make the trip nicer.

Westech

CPL
Hardy har har now thats funny. Well Im for sure going to go a different way next time. I was thinking of just driving the cucv and running with the lights and siren on and see how far I get.
So what do you guys think about the "plan" so far? I would really like to hear from all who want to come next year so we can make this work for every one.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I agree, further apart from Aberdeen. I would like to attend this, but I doubt I'd bring the Deuce.

jh1990

im hoping me and a buddy of mine can go next year, really dont have any suggestions because I've never been there, but a schedule sounds good but I think we should plan for more time then what might be really needed because of break-downs and what not. a reasonable fee makes sense, plus T-shirts, WOO HOO. I think sometime in august or september would be a little better, ya kno, spread Haspin and Aberdeen out a little bit. but then again what do I know, I'm just 16...just my $0.02

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Can't do it in September, my cookout/trailride is in Late September or early october and I am trying to grow it into a 2 day affair.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's what I'd like to ba able to do but make no changes on my behalf as it's always a shot in the dark. As some if not most of you know, I spend the 3rd week of August in OH for Gravelrama. www.gravelrama.com I would love to see Haspin close to that event so that I could drive up for one, leave my junk in the area and fly home. Return for the other event and drive my junk home. The week after Gravelrama is the US Nationals in Indy, don't know if we have any big time drag racing fans. Off on a tangent, the birth of my 3rd sone in January prompted me to curtail my motorsports vecations this year. As a result I skipped the Gatornationals and will be skipping Gravelrama as well (boo hoo). I'll be back in 2008 fer sure. Now on a side note, our little group sets up a nice little camping area at Gravelrama and we would love to get some of you locals to bring over your MVs, spend a few nights camping and shooting the bull. Of all the motorsports events I've ever attended, Gravelrama is far and away my most cherished event.

ojsdna744

Westech said:
Im thinking Aberdeen and Haspin should be spread out a bit more. Aberdeen wont change so I guess its up to us. So we can do early in the year or later but I think because of the huge turn out in aberdeen Haspin suffered a bit. I know next year I will not be able to do Haspin if I go to Aberdeen. The boss was not too fond of me taking off so much in a short time.
:ditto: I agree, I just couldn't manage to take another long weekend off so close to Aberdeen. And now that I've been, I CAN'T miss that show again!! :roll: I sure enjoyed looking through the pictures!! The terrain reminds me of the Badlands Offroad park that's also in Indiana. Hope to be able to attend next year!!

Stan

Sounds like a plan. I have access to a large kettle and tripod that we use on a winter float trip for chili. Thats one meal if wanted. I order t-shirts for work so if we can get some rough art work together I'll get a price.

oilcan

Gimp already pointed it out, but one minor change that I'd like to suggest is a well marked, and maybe even fairly intimidating perimeter around our area, including the road. I've already started drawing up plans for my ATV snatcher-upper machine, and I'd really prefer not to have to use it...

I'm "down" with the one-fee all-inclusive idea. Just try to keep things within reason. And the idea about moving it to the fall would help with work, but remember, the kids would be in school, and might not be able to attend. (I don't have any so it wouldn't be a problem for me)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oilcan said:
Gimp already pointed it out, but one minor change that I'd like to suggest is a well marked, and maybe even fairly intimidating perimeter around our area, including the road. I've already started drawing up plans for my ATV snatcher-upper machine, and I'd really prefer not to have to use it...
Here's an idea - SANDBAGS. Plenty of dirt to fill them up with, they are cheap. No need to stack them, a simple ring around our area 1 bag high will mark our territory so to speak. And it would prevent ATVers from flying by at 30mph. Plus, it's not really dangerous, which really is the best thing.

Westech

CPL
well we did talk to the top guy and we could block off one of the roads (the steep one) in to the camp area. he said there going to fence it off anyway because of that reason, but I think caution tape and re bar in to the ground should be fine and they have that all there. no need to truck it in.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, if you guys need caution tape, I have some that says "Crime Scene" Also a small 2x4 framework and an orange traffic cone work wonderfully to fill sand bags.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
As long as we are planning this ahead of time. Could you do something about the fuel prices by next year? You are in charge after all....

oilcan

Somehow, crime scene tape seems apropriate for our little outpost.

Maybe one of our handier members can make up a "Firebase Haspin" sign to post at our "gate".

lstmate

Don's forget...

In all this scheduling please do not forget that hookin1 has informed you all that you are expected in Evansville Aug 5-9 2009.

Just a friendly reminder.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks