• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I'm In Dire need of a Manual

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need manual number TO-35C2-3-499-1 for a 3kw diesel genset. I need the manual to see what I am doing wrong trying to start this little beast.
Any help is appreciated.
James G.

PS: The one below is Paul P.'s but the same model without wheels.

Attachments

acetomatoco

RE: I

Thought for sure that I had replied to this one... That is an AF TO ... do you have a Army TM #... secondly be sure that your compression release is closed and that the fuel is on...

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Ace:
I have not found a compression release, where would it be located, I can post some photos of the engine if that would help? The engine truns over great and puts out a dense cloud of diesel vapor, no smoke, the generator works since it will make a light flutter just turning over the engine.
James G.

Armada

That is an AF TO ... do you have a Army TM #...
There is no Army TM as the AF were the only ones to use this genset. I had the manual in my hands and copied the # off of it. The manual belonged to the shop that pm'd my gensets and they wouldn't give it up :( They had gotten the manual a number of years ago from Selfridge AFB when they brought a couple gensets to be serviced. The manual has EVERYTHING in it you need to know about the wisconsin robin diesel genset. There has got to be a source for it someplace.

acetomatoco

RE: gen set

Well, fuel and compression should make it run...the white smoke is indicative of fuel, so compression is the only thing lacking...

acetomatoco

RE: gen set

Does it have a hand throttle... ? Some engines have the compression release incorporated... try throttle in middle position....

NEIOWA

TO 35C2-3-499-1

Are you sure you're getting fuel to the cylinder? As I recall had hard time getting ours to start 1st time because the AF purged all fuel from the system at turn in. A little pressure in the fuel tank to force fuel thru the lines. As I recall bleed air out at the pump.

These do Start very easy (even on the rope). No load, main tand valves on (bottom of tank and a thumb wheel inline). engine run lever to "Run","key"/black knob to "start" cranks engine.

TM mentions add 2 to 3 cc of fuel at the auxillary fuel inlet to prime. See photo. Might need to do 1st run if has been purges.

Turn the black key start switch counterclockwise for manifold preheat. No reason would need to use in June.

Attachments

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No Compression?

I am getting a lot of fuel vapor out of the exhaust when I turn the engine over, a cloud of diesel, no smoke at all, I am thinking the exhaust valve may be stuck open, no compression but plenty of dense vapor? I have had the cover off the valves I just can't tell if the valve is moving or not? Lack of experience, no doubt.

James G.

Attachments

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: No Compression?

rumplecat said:
I am getting a lot of fuel vapor out of the exhaust when I turn the engine over, a cloud of diesel, no smoke at all, I am thinking the exhaust valve may be stuck open, no compression but plenty of dense vapor? I have had the cover off the valves I just can't tell if the valve is moving or not? Lack of experience, no doubt.

James G.
Not alot of experience on these...well, actually, none! But, it's still a diesel! Sounds like the comp. release is on, pulled, pushed in or how ever it is activated. Most diesels with a compression release use the exhaust valve. Start looking for a lever, cable, toggle switch connected to a solinoid or something on that line. Try this guy, he advertizes in MVM, his name is Don....25eagle@sbcglobal.net. Lots of new and used manuals.

If you look at the rocker arms when you crank the engine over, and the levers move, the valves are opening. I noticed you have the nozzle out. Turn the engine over 'till both valves are closed...you'll be able to wiggle the levers around a bit. Put some air down the hole the nozzle came out of and listen for air hissing out the intake, exhaust or out the crankcase vent. If you hear the same ammount of air hissing out as you put in, you have a problem...a valve or rings. A valve, the air will come out the corresponding orifice...intake or exhaust. Rings, out the crankcase vent. A little bit of air out the breather is OK. Make sence? Let us all know about Don.

NEIOWA

There is no compression release on this Robin engine/T&J genset..

TM troubleshooting says:

Engine cranks but will not start
1.) Fuel valves not turned on
2.) Fuel tank empty
3.) Run lever in OFF position
4.) Air in the fuel system (my guess) - Perform fuel system bleeding procedures (Para 6-6)
5.) Water or contaminates in fuel - Drain fuel filter to remove water. If contaiminated, drain all fuel, replace filter and refill with frech diesel fuel
6.) Fuel injection pump or injector clogged - Refer to higher level of maint.
7.) Low compression - Check valve tappet adjustment (para. 6-8), if correct refer to higher level of maint.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks