• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

REMOVING UNDERCOATING

littlebob

I'm a little over a year on my Deuce project and one thing really slowing me down is removing undercoating that apperntly sprayed on in the Desert Storm era. Everywhere
there is undercoating the paint is flaking and I have been pressure washing, scraping with a wood chisel and then using a cup type wire brush to remove it completly.
Anbody have any suggestions?
littlebob

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
My leaking master cyl on the 725 has made the undercoating fall off. Don't know how long it took though. Have you tried a heat gun and a putty knife?

HeadWizard

I've been in the undercoating, rustproofing, paint sealant, etc business for 20+ years now and removing undercoating is on of the biggest pains in the ^*$% we have to deal with.

There is no easy way. You remove the bulk of it with a putty knife and heat gun. You remove the rest with many rags and solvent. The solvent would be a bug & tar type solvent that should be available in bulk (1gal + cans) from paint supply or detailing supply companies.

Don't know where you are geographically, but I've got the stuff in gallons to 55 gallon drums.

Don

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
A trick I have used in the past with some types of undercoating is to freeze it with compressed gasses. This way it get very brittle and can be chipped right off. If I remember correctly this was most effective with undercoating that was still somewhat soft.

littlebob

If I master it I'll let everyone know how I did it. Thanks to everyone for the input. I don't have a heat gun, but with the temps around 95 during the day I can probably set them in a sunny place in the backyard and make it easier to remove. I will experiment with different solvents to see wich work best.I'm thinking there is no easy way,but any inputs on solvents would be appreciated.

littlebob

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Lowes and Home Depot sell fairly cheap heat guns in the paint section. If you don't want to try that then give a hair dryer a try to see if it does anything for you.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If they are smaller pieces, try a blast cabinet. Or a plumbing/soldering propane torch instead of heat gun?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have the same goo on my 70 Duster. It probably saved it from a lot of rust but they sprayed it on wires, fuel/brake lines, nuts, etc. I can't get the marker light bulbs out to change them.
You might try acetone, in a well ventilated area of course, since it will suck the petroleum out of the tar. I spilled some on the inner fender when I was restoring the brakes. It left the stuff dried out and you could scrape it or wire brush it off.
Do not get it on wires, rubber lines, weather stripping or any thing else you don't want FUBAR'd.
Just my 2cents .

BKinzey

I'm trying the same thing :roll: I want to coat the frame and underside with Rust Bullet and removal of this stuff is a pain!

I bought a pint of the Goof Off and it seems to work well. Kerosene works fairly well and may work better if I let it soak in. Kerosene doesn't evaporate as fast as the Goof Off.

Ultimately I'd like something I can spray on (plastic squirt bottle, maybe paint gun) and then hit with a power washer. Thought a heated power washer, possibly steam, would help but can't find any for rent around here. It's frustrating. I live in Los Angeles, I know it's here, I just have to find it :roll: :x

Due to a lack of space I can't take the body off so there are plenty of areas I won't be able to get a brush or scraper to.

I've got my homemade Haz-Mat / Painter's suit to wear and will take great precautions so the neighborhood kids don't see a flaming marshmallow running down the street :shock: :shock: :cookoo:

OSO

Hey have you tried paint remover ?Zep has a good paint remover the kind that burns your skin if you get any on you. I tried on a crane used an airless sprayer to apply it took old thick paint right off used pressure washer paint peeled right off . I think the paint remover would do the trick. [thumbzup]

devilman96

A hot tank is the fastest way to remove it but most of is dont have one of those sitting in the yard. I would suggest fudgeing a soak tank out of a 55 gallon drum and solvent, even diesel will work... Yeah its a waste to some extent but it sure beats doing it by hand.

BKinzey

Sand blasting didn't work for me. The undercoating takes longer to remove and I ended up with pitting the metal around any blobs of undercoating.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the undercoat material is bonded that well in certain areas, is there any benefit to just removing what is loose, and leaving the bonded-to-the-metal coating on? Does it really need to be stripped to the bare metal for a "fresh" application? I'm going to be doing a little of this myself, and though I'm not trying to take short-cuts, and I'm not lazy, but I like the idea of metal already being well etched with protective undercoat. Just shoot new over it??? It's a rough-finish you're going to have on those parts anyway, right? I'm a fan of NAPA's "Extend" on light rust and bare metal. It etches and kills the rust. I'm sure it will penetrate areas around the stuck-on undercoating. Maybe the finish you are looking for.

BKinzey

Just a follow up. The Pressure Washer & kerosene isn't working out as well as I thought. Large, easy to get to areas it's pretty good. it's the nooks & crannies. If I could pull the body off it would help a lot.

It's just the body ,M1009, on the frame but laying on my back on a creeper isn't helping any either.

I won't be doing this again :cry:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks