• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Michigan License Plate Law for MV's Passes

paradeduty

As of yesterday (3/5/2014) the Governor of Michigan (Gov. Snyder) signed into law an amendment to the laws governing the displaying of License Plates for Historical Military Vehicles registered in Michigan. As of this laws passage (immediate) only historic military vehicles which were initially produced with mounting and lighting provisions for said license plate are required to display the same. As is typical, those which do not display for this reason are still required to have the required license plate with the vehicle (truck or trailer) and to produce same upon request of LEO. YAY!

This is the wording of the statute:

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1]The People of the State of Michigan enact:
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1]Sec. 225.

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this subsection and subsection (6), a registration plate issued for a vehicle shall be attached to the rear of the vehicle. A registration plate issued for a truck tractor or road tractor shall be attached to the front of the vehicle.
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](2) A registration plate shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which the plate is issued so as to prevent the plate from swinging. The plate shall be attached at a height of not less than 12 inches from the ground, measured from the bottom of the plate, in a place and position that is clearly visible. The plate shall be maintained free from foreign materials that obscure or partially obscure the registration information and in a clearly legible condition.
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](3) A registration plate or an expiration tab on the registration plate shall be of a different color designated by the secretary of state with a marked contrast between the color of the registration plate and the numerals or letters on the plate. The secretary of state may provide a distinctive registration plate as a replacement for a standard plate. To honor a special or historical event, the secretary of state may provide a commemorative plate as a replacement for a standard plate.
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](4) A person shall not attach a name plate, insignia, or advertising device to a registration plate in a manner that obscures or partially obscures the registration information.
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](5) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle that has a name plate, insignia, or advertising device attached to a registration plate in a manner that obscures or partially obscures the registration information.
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](6) A registration plate issued for a historic military vehicle that is authorized to be operated on the roads of this state is not required to be attached to the rear or the front of the historic military vehicle unless the historic military vehicle was originally manufactured with lighting and mounting provisions for a registration plate. However, if the registration plate is not attached to the exterior of the historic military vehicle, it shall be present in the historic military vehicle to which it refers and shall be made available upon demand of a police officer. As used in this subsection, “historic military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country’s military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+3][SIZE=+1](7) A person who violates this section is responsible for a civil infraction.

Please take note of section/paragraph (6) as it applies to historic military vehicles. Also note that this applies to - “historic military vehicle” means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle’s size, weight, or year of manufacture. So this appears to imply that even though a MV may not be of the 25 years or more in age to qualify for a "historic vehicle license plate/registration" in Michigan, it is still not required to "display" the "standard" license plate. HOWEVER - personally, I would not want to challenge this one as it applies to MV's used for commercial purposes. I'm pretty sure they would be able to give you a hard time there as the purpose for which the truck is being used is not "historical".

Good news for the Michigan MV hobby!

Dave

Br0nc0xrapt0r

So as a Michigander getting ready to get back and pick up his first Deuce which is currently registered as a historic Vic, what does this mean in plain english? you need a plate but do not have to display it. However you must have the plate in the vehicle to show to LEO uppon request?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is good news for you Michiganders, congrats.

This thread topic really should be in the "Politics Relating to MV's" section. That being said, i will move it for you.

paradeduty

Thanks Speddmon - I was wondering about that, but I didn't think that it was as much "political" as it was "legal" - now I know!

Yes, all this means is that you don't have to have a heart attack drilling mounting holes in your pristine fender/bumper/tailgate to mount your bright white/blue/reflective plate on your flat OD/Tan pride and joy! And then rigging up a license plate light. Don't even want to think about "properly and securely" mounting to armor! Yes, you still have to have one and carry it with you, but this will sure make it a bit nicer at the shows and parades. Just make sure that you have it with you and up to date in case someone decides to loose a game of bumper tag.

RodUSMC1962

This is the same as Indiana. I keep a copy of law and plate in all my vehicles and trailers, have not been stopped yet. I have asked several leos I know and none of them are aware of this law. My vehicles are period correct with tac markings and I suppose they look military enough to not be stopped. :driver:

paradeduty

Thanks Bob,

Excellent Idea about keeping a copy of the new law handy. Appreciate you making it so easily available for everyone.

And thanks for your input into putting together this new legislation. I thought someone had mentioned the topic before, but I couldn't remember if it was from this site or what. Glad you reminded me. Now I can tell any LEO's that "Bob told me so!".

Dave

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like the wording and intent, very nice clean way to deal with the issue of license plates. It is not like there are 20 of these on any given road at any one time.

Nicely done Michigan!

My truck is set up for plates but up till now I have been hanging my trailer plate off the back end with bungee. I will interpret this to mean as long as I have trailer plate in the truck I am good to go.

TehTDK

My truck is set up for plates but up till now I have been hanging my trailer plate off the back end with bungee. I will interpret this to mean as long as I have trailer plate in the truck I am good to go.
If I am reading that legal document right, then you HAVE TO show the plates fixed on the truck IF the truck is provisioned for it. Since your truck is set up for "flying tags" then you are now legally required to do so. It is those trucks that havent been previously prepared to fly tags that are now still exempt from displaying them fixed to the truck..... but they are still required to keep them in the truck....

Thats my interpretation of that document at least.

If I am reading that legal document right, then you HAVE TO show the plates fixed on the truck IF the truck is provisioned for it. Since your truck is set up for "flying tags" then you are now legally required to do so. It is those trucks that havent been previously prepared to fly tags that are now still exempt from displaying them fixed to the truck..... but they are still required to keep them in the truck....

Thats my interpretation of that document at least.
No argument here, I stated my truck was set for plates but I have been hanging my trailer plate off of the trailer with bungee. Now I can just keep that plate in my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks