• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking to give my 1028 a 6.5 turbo/4L80E a heart transplant....

Well gentlemen, Merle needs a heart transplant. I'm retiring next Summer, and my son and I are going to go on a little "great western" camping trip to celebrate. We'll take Merle and camp along the way. To make this a reality, Merle is going to need a heart transplant. I have already started stalking 6.5 turbo/ 4L80E combos in running 93-96 Chevy 2500/3500 series trucks. I have a few on the hook already. My problem is that I don't have the garage space to do the transplant, and right now I don't have the time either. Any of my NoVa crew know of a mechanic they would trust to successfully execute this full up ordeal? I have time - gonna be the Summer of '15 - but these things always take a lot longer than you think they will. Holler if you have any thoughts / recommendations.:)

Uh...looking to keep it pretty much original, and not looking to hack into my frame to put in a Cummins/manual set-up. I want it to look like a real 1028, just tweaked for optimum performance and reliability on and off the road.

so...again...anyone up here in NoVa know a crew that could take this on for me while I am living in a house with zero garage capability?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know very few mechanics that I would trust to even do minor work on a CUCV. ;-)

Coal Cracker

It's something I can surely do, but you are a few hours from me. you know to do the 4l80 that a standalone computer will be needed. I wouldn't recommend the 6.5 turbo setup either, I'd look for a banks sidewinder kit.

Iceman3005

if he gets the whole donor truck with the trans and motor, than all that is needed is the wiring harness and computer from the donor truck to control transmission.

if he gets the whole donor truck with the trans and motor, than all that is needed is the wiring harness and computer from the donor truck to control transmission.
It's something I can surely do, but you are a few hours from me. you know to do the 4l80 that a standalone computer will be needed. I wouldn't recommend the 6.5 turbo setup either, I'd look for a banks sidewinder kit.

Thanks Coal Cracker. Weatherly PA is about 210mi from me on highways - add back roads and a 50mph top speed with Merle, and it would take me all day to get to you! If I can't find anyone closer I might have to grit my teeth and make he drive. I am looking to pull a whole 6.5 drivetrain from a functioning (possibly wrecked) truck. I have a few in the area that I am chasing. I plan on pulling the whole thing, dumping it in the bed of Merle, and hauling it to the OR for the transplant to begin!

Alright - stalking a '95 'Burban 2500 with a rusted frame. It has a 6.5 turbo (197,000mi) and 4L80E trans... guy wants 1100 for it. Obviously I'm going to have the engine and trans completely redone. Heck, I might even scavenge the front seats/console out of it before I send it to the scrapyard. Hmmmm... OK SS gurus, will this type of heart transplant work work on Merle, and am I heading in the right direction? Still looking for somebody in NoVa area that can do the surgery, as my carport is NOT the place to get this done!

cliffyp

Are you planning on keeping the computer controlled ds4 pump or converting to the mechanical db2? '93 still had the db2 and a stand alone controller for the 4L80.

muddobber40

I would try and stick with 92-93 so you can keep the mechanical pump and trans computer as stated above. My M1028 has the 6.5 and 4l80 from a 92. It was originally a 2wd, but swapped in the 4wd output when I had the trans rebuilt. I was able to use the original wiring for the engine and trans, just spliced the necessary wires to the factory firewall junction. Plus you can have the obd1 port to check the trans codes if needed. Another way to go may be to turbo your 6.2 and then get a 4l80E and run a stand alone computer. When you the trans gets rebuilt, have them put the reluctor/tone ring in used in 2wd transmissions or run a painless wiring signal converter off the speedo output of the transfer case to get you OP speed signal. US Shift's can be programmed either way. I have used US shift's controller many times and will be using 2 more in the next few weeks on 2 more swaps.

I don't remember who mentioned it earlier in your thread, but if it were me and I had to do it again, the truck would get a Cummins. It would get an Allison trans though. It still may if I don't sell the truck.

I know the pictures are crappy. The computer is tucked up behind the glove box. Couldn't get a picture of it without taking the box out and the Vintage Air A/C unit hides it from the bottom.

Attachments

Coal Cracker

My advice would be to rebuild the 6.2 and find a banks sidewinder kit, get a 4l80 donor out of something 98-current and use a standalone wiring kit with computer. I can do anything you'd want, but this would be my suggestion. Whats wrong with your 6.2?, the 6.2 is a much better block than the 6.5 I don't want to talk you out of something you had your mind set on.

My advice would be to rebuild the 6.2 and find a banks sidewinder kit, get a 4l80 donor out of something 98-current and use a standalone wiring kit with computer. I can do anything you'd want, but this would be my suggestion. Whats wrong with your 6.2?, the 6.2 is a much better block than the 6.5 I don't want to talk you out of something you had your mind set on.
Thanks CC - I actually had a guy respond (after 2 weeks) to his CL advert on a complete 6.5 turbo setup with the DB2 injector pump.... turns out he posted the ad and then went overseas. Ugh. Yes, rebuilding my 6.2, adding a turbo, and then strapping on a donor 4L80E would be a good solution...I just thought it might be a little easier to transplant a complete engine/trans. I'll keep looking for a junkyard queen in the '92-'93 range...maybe I'll get lucky! Failing that, I may go the '98 and up 4L80E option. Thanks again for all the advice guys - keep it coming!

Iceman3005

If it where me I would just rebuild the 6.2, if you are dead set on the 4l80e than try and find a really cheap donor truck for the harness and trans. Dropping the 6.5 and 4l80e is not a bad idea either, you will have the 6.2 out for the rebuild so just dropping the 6.5 in would be much faster. Only problem I see is what if the 6.5 brakes or dies after you drop it in, that is why I would just rebuild the 6.2.

If it where me I would just rebuild the 6.2, if you are dead set on the 4l80e than try and find a really cheap donor truck for the harness and trans. Dropping the 6.5 and 4l80e is not a bad idea either, you will have the 6.2 out for the rebuild so just dropping the 6.5 in would be much faster. Only problem I see is what if the 6.5 brakes or dies after you drop it in, that is why I would just rebuild the 6.2.
Wise counsel, Iceman. I think rebuilding/turboing the 6.2 and adding a minty, rebuilt 4L80E might be a bit more realistic for my timeline and budget.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks