• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

USAF Thiokol 4T10

RangerBob

What the heck, over? Still no military snowcat forum?!?! Well, here's yet another thread of a military snowcat!!!

I hope this poor girl is soon to be mine. She was spotted about 6yrs ago (2008), but I couldn't find anyone to ask about her. About a year later, a co-worker happened by the same spot and got some contact info, and I was finally able to seal the deal and make the recovery. And there is Strata Blue under that 'utility orange'.

The history as related to me by the owners wife is as follows:
They have had it sitting in their yard for a few years hoping to eventually repair it. They recovered it from the ranch of a friend where it had sat on a hillside for many, many years. That owner had acquired it from either a govt agency or utility company. They used it to reach the ranch in the winter and to carry family and friends on ski outings. At some point it broke down enroute and there it sat for the aforementioned many, many years. It's first career was obviously in the service of the USAF.

Here she is where found...

Long Front Left Quarter.jpgRear Left Quarter.jpgLeft Side.jpg
Danas.jpgPower Divider.jpgData Plate.jpg

The info from that hard to read dataplate picture:

Model=4T10
Capacity=2800lb
Serial Number=178
Year of Manufacture=1962
Engine Serial Number=4935-T11KG
USAF Registration Number=61B2760
Inspected By=
FSN=2320-856-2153
Contract Number=40-604-11615
Shipping Weight=5060lb
Gross Vehicle Weight=5060lb
Overall Height=89
Width=93.5
Length=151in
Warranty=3 Months
Ship Date=05Jan1962

For some reason, the 4T-series dataplates never added the capacity to the shipping weight, which should then show a gross of 7860.

Last edited:

RangerBob

The recovery in 2009...

Ready to Load.jpgAt the Ramp.jpgOn the Ramp.jpgLoaded.jpg

A couple of stops on the way...

In Wieser Idaho.jpgEnroute Somewhere.jpg

And delivery to the new owner...at the time! I had delivered it to someone who has since decided that he just isn't going to have the time to priss her up.

At WarWags.jpg

She may be on the move again soon. :mrgreen:

Last edited:

RangerBob

That one is currently in AZ, but is not yet mine. I have one non-mil cat in Area 52 of NV, plus four more non-mils in my secret desert location in NM. And high on a mountainside in NH there are 3 more non-mils and 2 ex-mil cats. Actually, one of those last two is but a rolling chassis. Maybe I'll put a deuce cab on it... :whistle: I hope to acquire an ex-mil unit in AK this spring/summer, but don't have anywhere to store it yet.

Another Ahab

That one is currently in AZ, but is not yet mine. I have one non-mil cat in Area 52 of NV, plus four more non-mils in my secret desert location in NM. And high on a mountainside in NH there are 3 more non-mils and 2 ex-mil cats. Actually, one of those last two is but a rolling chassis. Maybe I'll put a deuce cab on it... :whistle: I hope to acquire an ex-mil unit in AK this spring/summer, but don't have anywhere to store it yet.
Is that high desert; like do you get snow enough to run in out there?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
but don't have anywhere to store it yet.
I have the perfect place to store it....and test it...and wash it. Might be all painted up like the 601 when you come pick it up though.

Can't get enough of the history and pics so thanks for sharing. Must have Thiokol, must have Thiokol.

RangerBob

It's called a Power Divider or Selector. It takes the power from the transmission and divides/splits it to two drive shafts, one for powering each track. One of the problems with a braking differential (like those on most non-hydraulic snowcats, old tractor crawlers, dozers, etc) is that when you brake one side, you lose a buttload of power. You need to rump on the gas as you make your turn to maintain decent speed, execute the turn, and not stall. This arrangement executed a turn by reducing the power/speed to one track while adding it to the other. Efficient, but more complicated to adjust and lots of extra parts to break. I'll see if I can dig up details of the inner workings later.

Another Ahab

It's called a Power Divider or Selector. It takes the power from the transmission and divides/splits it to two drive shafts, one for powering each track. One of the problems with a braking differential (like those on most non-hydraulic snowcats, old tractor crawlers, dozers, etc) is that when you brake one side, you lose a buttload of power. You need to rump on the gas as you make your turn to maintain decent speed, execute the turn, and not stall. This arrangement executed a turn by reducing the power/speed to one track while adding it to the other. Efficient, but more complicated to adjust and lots of extra parts to break. I'll see if I can dig up details of the inner workings later.
So that would have applied to older armor also, like the m4 Sherman?

peashooter

Thanks for sharing this! I had no idea Thikol made these things.... I've only known Thikol for making rocket boosters from a previous company I was at. I had to wikipedia it to see if it was the same company and then found it even more interesting that John Delorean bought this division. Pretty cool vehicle and history behind them! Of course most things with tracks I consider "pretty cool"

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ranger Bob I am very glad that your out there to save these beautiful old beauties, in ND they would come in handy but like most things like this unless you have a direct NEED to use it they wont get used and every time you want to the batteries are dear or you need to fix something before you can use it. Like I said I am glad your interest is in these units, and thanks for posting, looks like a very interesting project!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks