• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking at a 404

sluggish

So I found a 1962 404 pretty close to me, couple hours and am thinking of going to have a look. Looks good in pics and owner says it has no leaks, new fluids, tires, batteries, top, and a few other minor goodies. Now I am completely new to the unimog scene(currently have an H1), but have always been partial to the ugly looking things(I tend to like the oddball things, hence the reason I drove an AMC Pacer for so long). Trouble is, I have no idea what I am looking for when it comes to Mogs. Is there anything out of the ordinary or something I should specifically focus on. He says it is all original with the 6 cyl 2.2 gas and a 6 speed tranny. Is this a good combo? Do these trannies have synchros, or just straight cut gears. I don't plan to do any extreme wheeling and realistically, it will likely be more of a pavement pounder(for shame) but I was thinking it would be fun to drag the kids around, do parades and just generally drive it locally on a sunny day. I don't expect it to be like driving my Longhorn dually as far as comfort, but I don't want something completely horrible and unbearable to drive either. I realize it is not a great choice for a daily driver but could be a fun toy. I'm guessing it's likely good for about 45-50mph, now with that said, there are some hills in my area. Should I be thinking of power upgrades so I don't pi$$ off all the traffic behind me on those hills, or is there even a reasonable power upgrade option? Are fast axles, or an overdrive a choice for these vehicles, or should I wait for another model to come along that may be better suited to what I want it for.

Could slap a few signs on it to advertise my business and maybe take it on the odd off road trail. It would be a good recovery vehicle for my Off Road Hummer Tours truck as well(or would it?) Asking price is $8500 and I get the feeling he is pretty firm on it but money talks right. Is he in the ball park for it's value or is it way out of line? I will try to put a couple pics up here if I can figure out how. Thanks for any input you can give.

$(KGrHqR,!loFEr1MbVHgBSZov6h,9Q~~48_20.JPG$T2eC16ZHJH0FG1lm)UI+BSZowCOfEw~~48_20.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!okFJF-jFt!GBSZowJmc(w~~48_20.JPG$T2eC16FHJIIFHJB+p6(RBSZ9lIMvI!~~48_20.JPG

Just realized it's my first post here yet I joined in 2012. I'm on the site all the time, usually looking at the deuces and bobbers but guess I didn't have anything to say. Have definitely seen some nice rigs here. What do you think of this one?

Last edited:

UNIMOG-GUY

-45-50 mph is top speed unless you're going down a hill with a tailwind. Slightly kidding but 45-50 is the speed that they are happiest at.
-Other than swapping engines for the M-130 or a diesel the only performance upgrade is a head swap which I have read has just ok results as far as money for performance goes.
-The 404 doesn't have a set of high speed axles available like some of the other models.
-There isn't a overdrive available for the 404 however there are crawler gears available for a lower 1st and 2nd gear speed.
-There is a front PTO option available however it's main use is for a PTO winch.
-The 404 with the right tires and driver should have no problem going anywhere and past where your H1 currently goes.

If you could post some pics of the rear between the frame rails we can determine if it has the original tools it came with. Also if you could post some pics of the engine compartment we can determine if you have a Swiss mog or not based on having breakers or fuses.

Sluggish,

Also here is a website I highly recommend:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/unimog/

It is in my opinion the premiere Unimog website in English on the web. I am on there as well username LPGMOG.

Here are a couple more English for sale websites you should check out:

http://www.unimog.net/exchange/

http://unimogshop.com/

http://www.unimogs.co.uk/accessories.asp

Last edited:

sluggish

He says it is Swiss but I'll confirm whether fuses or breakers(which is preferred?). Also he says it includes the original tools but I haven't been down to see it yet. Those pics are from his ad.

Thanks for the info.

sluggish

End of the line for this one. We couldn't strike a deal. I'll keep searching. Time is on my side so that's a good thing. Gives me lots of time to research and hunt the right one down. Thanks for the info guys. Will update if I find another.

Another Ahab

You bet. You'll find the one you want.

And that one looked like it had been painted over more than once or twice, anyhow.

Let us know what you find.

saddamsnightmare

March 11th, 2015.

The Swiss Unimog S404.114's were usually very well maintained, and from personal experience, the breakers are preferable to the fuses for off or on road work. The only issue will be in the long run 10% ethanol in your gas will play he-- with the tank liners, carbs, fuel pumps and any rubber components it comes in contact with. Money for money, I'll set the S404.114 against the H1 for anything but speed, I'll set the U1300L against any American FWD for design quality, off road capabilities and if you have the ultra-high speed axles, for on road work also.....:)

sluggish

The thing I didn't mention back about a year ago(can't believe its been that long) is that when I contacted the guy about it, he raised his price to 12,500. That was why no deal was struck. It was $8500 or best offer and jumped to $12500 firm a day later. Guess he must have gotten interest and decided he could try for more. It is however, still for sale a year later at $12500 firm. :)

Still have my eyes open for one.

Another Ahab

The thing I didn't mention back about a year ago(can't believe its been that long) is that when I contacted the guy about it, he raised his price to 12,500. That was why no deal was struck. It was $8500 or best offer and jumped to $12500 firm a day later. Guess he must have gotten interest and decided he could try for more. It is however, still for sale a year later at $12500 firm.
Maybe there was a bar of gold in the battery compartment he hadn't noticed until then...

greenjeepster

Mogs are a great investment and apparently going up every day. I would not get a 404 though, if you are going to spend that kind of money go for a diesel, you will be much happier. I started looking at mogs about 15 years ago and you could import a 404 back then for under 4 k. I thought it was too high and they would come down. Our demand for them here has driven prices in Europe and to get a 404 for under 10 K now would be practically unheard of.

Also a 404 isn't going to recover a hummer from anywhere, they can barely pull them selves to say nothing of anything else. Their off road capabilities come from their gear ratios, not from power. They are only 82 hp.

Last edited:

UNIMOG-GUY

Mogs are a great investment and apparently going up every day. I would not get a 404 though, if you are going to spend that kind of money go for a diesel, you will be much happier. I started looking at mogs about 15 years ago and you could import a 404 back then for under 4 k. I thought it was too high and they would come down. Our demand for them here has driven prices in Europe and to get a 404 for under 10 K now would be practically unheard of.

Also a 404 isn't going to recover a hummer from anywhere, they can barely pull them selves to say nothing of anything else. Their off road capabilities come from their gear ratios, not from power. They are only 82 hp.
I would actually disagree with your statement of a 404 not being able to recover a hummer. The 7 ton MB-A PTO winch on the front of my 404 and several snatch blocks would prove you wrong. And yes that winch came as a stock option. Their offroad capabilities come from more than just their gear ratios. They have on average 17" of clearance from tire to tire under the entire axle. They come stock with 39" tires. Each axle also has a locker, meaning that the wheels will receive power to all four tires. Traction is maintained, regardless of the opposite wheel's state. The Mog also has the ability to flex the frame several degrees in each direction, along with torque tubes and the coil springs this gives it the overall best suspension flexibility of any stock 4WD. So their offroad capabilities actually come from the combination of all the above not just gear ratios.

Mercunimog404

Banned

I would actually disagree with your statement of a 404 not being able to recover a hummer. The 7 ton MB-A PTO winch on the front of my 404 and several snatch blocks would prove you wrong. And yes that winch came as a stock option. Their offroad capabilities come from more than just their gear ratios. They have on average 17" of clearance from tire to tire under the entire axle. They come stock with 39" tires. Each axle also has a locker, meaning that the wheels will receive power to all four tires. Traction is maintained, regardless of the opposite wheel's state. The Mog also has the ability to flex the frame several degrees in each direction, along with torque tubes and the coil springs this gives it the overall best suspension flexibility of any stock 4WD. So their offroad capabilities actually come from the combination of all the above not just gear ratios.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426202893.905985.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426202910.206483.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1426202926.359342.jpg

greenjeepster

A Discovery is lighter than a HMMWV.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTmlZ5TIrUU

A winch is a different story... I have pulled full size Broncos out with a polaris atv chained to a tree with it's winch.

Not disrespecting mogs or anything, I think they are great. Just saying humvee recovery isn't really a practical application for one. Plus depending on where the humvee is stuck, the mog may not be able to get to it even. Break over angle on a humvee is much better than that of a mog.

Last edited:

PaFarmer

The other guys said it nicer, but your comment is almost completely BS. As the owner of a 404 ii feel obliged to respond. A 404 is very capable off road. 82HP is not great, but they are geared well, locked and great articulation which keeps the tires on the ground, that is why they are so capable off road.

Regarding the video you posted, that was not a 404 it looks like a 406 which would have the diesel you were recommending. I don't know why the Discovery was stuck, or why they were off roading it in the first place. I also don't understand why they made a video showing they could not extract the Discovery. They should not have been pulling in reverse and simply needed a bit more speed to snatch the vehicle out of the mud puddle.

PaFarmer

Also a diesel mog is probably going to cost twice what a 404 costs. I would love a 406, but the 404 is a lot more common and cheaper. The HMMWVs have huge flat floor pans. When they get stuck in the mud buried to the floor pans, there is a lot of suction/drag, not much of similar size is going to get them out. The whole discussion about HMMWV recovery is kind of funny, HMMWVs get stuck, Mogs don't, everyone knows that. Haha,

Mercunimog404

Banned
A Discovery is lighter than a HMMWV.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTmlZ5TIrUU

A winch is a different story... I have pulled full size Broncos out with a polaris atv chained to a tree with it's winch.

Not disrespecting mogs or anything, I think they are great. Just saying humvee recovery isn't really a practical application for one. Plus depending on where the humvee is stuck, the mog may not be able to get to it even. Break over angle on a humvee is much better than that of a mog.
You're insane. A break over on a hmmwv is far from what it is on a mog.

Another Ahab

Sounds like thread is facing off for a smackdown...

Impressive that the Unimog does everything it does, AND with only 82hp.

That's part of the brilliance of German engineering; only as much as needed; no more and no less. Nothing wasted; pure function.

Last edited:

PaFarmer

Greenjeepster, bring your off-road only HMMWV on a trailer down to Rausch Creek in PA. We are having our semi-annual rally next month 4/10-12. I'll follow your HMMWV anywhere you can go, then we can see if you can follow me. I nearly bought a titled HMMWV a year ago, I do like them, but they do not have nearly the off-road ability of a mog. I don't like the independent suspension, they have limited wheel travel and no forced articulation. Regarding that last video, it was pretty funny, they were driving pretty quick and the way the "spotter" was telling the driver it was OK seems like the driver was not very experienced. A HMMWV is wide and I have not wheeled one hard, but doubt it can handle as steep a side slope as a mog, but I would love to see it.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks