• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about climbing the Cajon Pass for the SoCal members

redcheetah

I live in Riverside, and have a 939A1 tractor (250 cummins/Auto). I have taken my 5 ton, the "Jolly Green" as it has been named, on a few trips now but will be taking it up to Mammoth over summer which will require a trip up the Cajon Pass. Now I fully expect to be putting along but can anyone give me an approximate speed that they were able to climb the Pass at in a similar 5 ton? It will be towing about 6-7k lbs. I just want to be prepared and be able to make it safely to the sloooow lane at the appropriate time. Thanks. The usual load setup is below.

Attachments

quickfarms

We do it all the time stay in the right lane and you will be fine. I watch the temperature gauges. Flashers below 45 mph and you will probably get down to about 35 mph. Remember to manually downshift the Allison as it helps keep the speed up and temperature down.

redcheetah

We do it all the time stay in the right lane and you will be fine. I watch the temperature gauges. Flashers below 45 mph and you will probably get down to about 35 mph. Remember to manually downshift the Allison as it helps keep the speed up and temperature down.
Thanks! That is what I was looking for. Assuming you have the same setup, about what rpm do you manually downshift?

tigger

Medic.
In Memorial
You can take 5 trucks off the assembly line and all 5 will drive differently! Keep the temp down and the rpms in the correct range and you will be fine.

TsgtB

I thought about that drive a few days ago, but I was thinking of going DOWN....
We lived up in Hesperia and drove the pass often, in a jeep... down it in a 5 ton... wow.

dezert ratt

My deuce did 26mph up the cajon pass towing the m105 trailer. My m818 with the cummins 250 will do about 35mph up the pass. Just stay In the slow truck lane with flashers on.

quickfarms

You are driving a truck with an Allison.

I downshift as soon as I see the grade, the transmission will only shift when the speed falls enough so that it can with out over revving the engine, this is provided that the transmission is correctly set up.

Driving an Allison is not like driving a car with an automatic.

The cajon pass is nothing compared to some of the other passes. The grape vine is much longer and has more elevation change.

You should be able to come down the pass without using the brakes much.

This all should have been covered in your CDL training.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks