• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom machining of parts for M725 project?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Depending on what I decide to do with my ambulance once it's done, I might be looking at a radio and antenna installation in my rig. I have discussed this installation before, however, I did not discuss where I am to get a couple pieces of 3/8 inch aluminum, cut to the size I need, and with holes drilled in the places I need them to be.

Does anyone here have the ability to machine or mill an aluminum plate to my specs, for a decent price? The shop in town charges $75 an hour for custom work, not including the cost of the metal. What I need won't be too complex, just two pieces of plate aluminum cut to size and drilled in a couple spots.

Barrman

Check out your local airport. I am referring to small field, not commercial field. Anybody that works on airplanes is going to have scrap aluminum sitting around. Most A&P guys are real nice people and will probably help you out.

acetomatoco

Holy moly, I can do that in my bedroom...just run to the junk yard and get some scrap aluminum deck plate at about a buck a pound and a 3/8 Chinese drill throwaway is 10 bux and a good drill bit for 2 bux... and if you have electricity the job is done.. You can cut the plate to size with a 3 dollar hack saw if needed...and then sell the tools in a yard sale for more than you paid for them...

SterlingDevelop

I have access to a cnc waterjet at work, would be happy to cut whatever at cost.
Depending on what it is, I get charged for machine time.Waterjets go through about 4 lbs of garnet abrasive a minute, fairly expensive.
Some stuff I can sneak on the jet along with another job, if it only takes a few minutes to cut.
It sounds like for this project a jet would be overkill.
Aluminum can be easily and safely cut with a carbide blade in a regular table saw.
Wear eye protection. 8)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool - thanks for the pic Bjorn. I guess I just have to find the right saw blade and I can cut it myself. I decided to use a modified M151 antenna corner bracket, cut in half so that its flat, for the rear antenna mounting bracket, and I just need a flat, unmodified piece of sheet aluminum, 1/4 to 3/8" thick for the radio mounting plate to go in the cab.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks