• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

data plate restoration

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can some one point me to information on how to clean and repaint data plates
and still have the letters shine out paint free?
Thanks,
Bruce

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: The only ones I had any luck cleaning were the ones on the axles. If you can read them now, leave them alone. If they are illegable, just get new ones. Saturn Surplus has a bunch of them, Teds Trucks has some, Rod Shaver has them, but he is extremely hard to get ahold of. There are also alot of them on e-bay. What truck do you want to replace them on? The bone yard in Fontana has cabs with the plates on them. I might be able to get some good weight/dimension, shift, etc out there. A few of us are scheduling a trip on the 14th.

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys,
The ones that I need are the ones in the crane cab on a M108. They are legible.
I had wanted to restore the background paint, but from what you are saying it is not worth the trouble.
I don't suspect you will find any, since these are somewhat scarse. However, if you do find some see if you can get the metal plate that they are secured to as well. Mine is about 60%
rust it's about 16"x 30" with two bends in it. Again, I doubt if you will find one that isn't rusted out unless you are real lucky, since there never was any cover over these.
If I can scrounge up the steel, I may just make one, so check this thread before you go.
I'll post the results if I make one.
Have fun looking for stuff!
Bruce

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks