• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Antique registration in nc

jlpayne

Hey guys registered the new duece in lincolnton today as an antique. I now have to have the inspector come out, any one been through this and what should I expect ?
thx
jason

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's another reason I moved to SC. Filled paper work out sent in with 25 bucks and week later had my antique tag.
Did not have to see truck, data plate.
Insurance did not have to pics.
And they gave me a 45 day tag 5 bucks until my permanent tag arrived.

jlpayne

Heck weirdest thing ever in my opinion, the dmv girl was very nice, gave me a tag till my antiqu auto tag comes in. The caveat is I have one year for the inspection or my tag gets revoked. Also I don't receive my title back from dmv until it has been inspected.

ATPTac

Be careful registering a Deuce as an antique and not putting weighted tags on it... Technically you're supposed to have weighted tags as well as a IFTA fuel tax decal, otherwise if you get pulled over by a DOT guy or a highway patrol, they will more than likely slap you with a hefty fine for being overweight and not having IFTA decals (it has happened to several members in NC). You should look up the requirements for vehicles with 3 or more axles and gross vehicle weight over 7k lbs. Also something else is that vehicles over either 30 or 35 years old(I can't remember off the top of my head which) don't require an inspection.

I myself have a weighted tag for 23k lbs, not saying you necessarily need to go that high, but if you ever load the truck down to max capacity you'll need it. I on the other hand am not running an IFTA decal, am I supposed to? Yes. But I'm not going to go through all the hassle of doing that and logging miles for a truck that I don't drive on a daily basis.

FrankUSMC

I have always put antique tags on my military trucks here in NC. The first one was a beautiful 1942 CCKW 6x6, that was over 25 years ago. I have had halftracks down to jeeps, and at this moment still have about 15 vehicles here. Now, I do not use my trucks for any kind of work, they are used for displays, parades, and regon missions to the ice creams store.
As for the vehicle inspection, is due to the truck having a title from out of state or an SF 97? I have never had to have a vehicle inspected to get antique plates here (might be a Charlotte thing). I have had to have several vehicles over the last years be inspected because of the vehicle had an out of state title or the vehicle had a SF97 title from the government. You can thank the fly by night title companies, and the hot rodders who put a 32 coupe body on a 2014 car frame and try to title it as a 1932 car for the inspections.
One more note on the inspections, my State Police inspector here has went the extra mile to help me fix titles that were filled out wrong by the government employees. He has been a great help.
If you ever make a run to the coast stop by, as Bikeman will tell you, I have several vehicles to see.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.

jlpayne

Yes I think the inspection is required cause it was a sc title , what does the inspection consist of?

QUOTE=FrankUSMC;1533336]I have always put antique tags on my military trucks here in NC. The first one was a beautiful 1942 CCKW 6x6, that was over 25 years ago. I have had halftracks down to jeeps, and at this moment still have about 15 vehicles here. Now, I do not use my trucks for any kind of work, they are used for displays, parades, and regon missions to the ice creams store.
As for the vehicle inspection, is due to the truck having a title from out of state or an SF 97? I have never had to have a vehicle inspected to get antique plates here (might be a Charlotte thing). I have had to have several vehicles over the last years be inspected because of the vehicle had an out of state title or the vehicle had a SF97 title from the government. You can thank the fly by night title companies, and the hot rodders who put a 32 coupe body on a 2014 car frame and try to title it as a 1932 car for the inspections.
One more note on the inspections, my State Police inspector here has went the extra mile to help me fix titles that were filled out wrong by the government employees. He has been a great help.
If you ever make a run to the coast stop by, as Bikeman will tell you, I have several vehicles to see.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET.[/QUOTE]

ATPTac

Did you add a weighted tag to the antiqu tag or just switch to a weighted tag, like my 350 wears?
You would just get a weighted tag, like what you have on your 350. You can't have multiple tags for one vehicle.

When you go to the DMV tell them you need a weighted tag and give them the weight. It needs to be at least the weight of the truck if you never plan on hauling anything. You're better off going a few thousand pounds over the weight of the truck to be safe though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks