• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MRAP seats in a 1028...?

Alright rod/mod squad... I'm looking to put bucket seats and a lockbox (Tuffy?) in Merle, so yesterday, I picked up two MRAP seats off of Dudley (Thanks for saving them for me!). I just put one in the cab to see how it fits (bench still in), and I measured...I can do 3 across and keep the bench seat sliders...but I would lose the ability to put in a console. Hmmmm. Thoughts? What would you guys do? Anyone have any ideas for seat bases if I go with he buckets and console route? I don't think 1009 bases would work because of the floor contours in the 1028 (fuel tank). Gimme some ideas, oh great gurus of the CUCV fold.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those seats are fairly thin. If I recall, they are normally suspended with straps. Why not incorporate some square tube and make a frame that attaches to the factory bench sliders and adapt the seats to that. You could add the 3rd seat or the Tuffy right to the tracks. Only drawback is that both seats slide together. Not the worst compromise in the world. The Tuffy's are cool in the fact that you can add a single DIN radio right to the console and keep the dash clean and stock (or at least they used to be that way).

That's what I was thinking, Recovery... 02Ford - follow away - your 1009 will be easier since you have independent seat bases up front already. I think the rear won't be too hard either.

I measured again, and I could fit 3 across, but it would be SUPER tight. However, if I keep the bench slider mechanism intact (less fuss) I think I could fab up something that would hold up both the seats and an extra large Tuffy (the 12.5" wide one with the DIN or CB radio cutout) locking center console. My worry would be using steel and hardware solid enough to keep everything together in the event of an accident. The 5 point harnesses are bolted to the seat chassis with heavy duty hardware, not to the truck (seat belts are bolted in with grade-8 bolts). I'll figure something out... Just have to pop the bench seat out of the truck and get busy!

richingalveston

Square nose suburban's have floor pans similar to the truck and had front buckets with individual sliders. I believe the suburban buckets will bolt right into the truck might look into it as a seat base.

I liked the seats from the suburban so I put them on my 1009 bases. They have armrest on both sides and they do not interfere with the ones built into the doors.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one little bracket that has to be obtained from a donor truck to use the burb seats. Its the front inboard mount for each seat. Its a small tower welded to the floor.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The suburbans with bucket seats have special brackets to mount the seat tracks. They are add-ons. I have cut some off parts burbs for others that have switched from bench to bucket seats.

The suburbans with bucket seats have special brackets to mount the seat tracks. They are add-ons. I have cut some off parts burbs for others that have switched from bench to bucket seats.
Sounds like it's about time to head to the junkyard with a torch and a good metal saw! I found this bit of goodness on a website dedicated to 73-87 GM trucks...

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/interior/factory_buckets.htm

Now I know what I'm looking for, and (if I can't find it) a profile to try and fab something up!

richingalveston

the 4l80e is not working just yet. I am sure it is the TCI controller. I had the torque converter and rest of tranny checked out. I have not been able to get it to work yet. stays in second gear which is the error default mode of the controller.

It has been a 3 year project and all that I have left is getting the tranny to work and installing the t-case driveshaft brake. I installed rear disk with standard calipers and not e-brake calipers.

they are not going to warranty the controller because it has been to long. due to work I only get to work on it in November and December and maybe 3 weekends between all of that. I am going to send it back to them one more time (hopefully next week)and then I am going to throw it away and buy a new controller, definitely not the Fast TCI. It will be the third return of the controller.

Second gear works great!! The truck rolls nice now that I got new front hubs and the rear disc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks