• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Some More Gun Truck Pics

nate_o23

RE: Re: RE: Some More Gun Truck Pics

Knucklehead- With the extra weight we tend to have problems with the Power Steering alot. We just had another truck come in with a blown pump. Between the added weight and all the components that are run off the pump ( steering, brakes, fan clutch, rear winch, diff cooler). They also go through springs and shocks like crazy. I have seen trucks going down the road and the tires look like they are at a 45deg. angle.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Another member joining us from the sandbox. Welcome john.colling and many many thanks for doing what you do. I certainly can't express my gratitude towards you and the entire military force. God Bless you brother.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

Great pictures and I see the gunners see through shield have evolved too. When I was in Iraq in 2005 we weighed one of the UAH's coming out of Balad with crew weapons and full of fuel it weighed 13,750 pounds. The HMMWV was deemed too heavy back when they started putting small shelters on them it is incredible that they hold up as well as they do. But with the Red dot AC going and all the radios and the fan kicked in they are pigs as far as acceleration goes. It seemed like the big civilian trucks hauling fuel could out accelerate ours on convoys

Bogi

Re: RE: Re: RE: Some More Gun Truck Pics

nate_o23 said:
Knucklehead- With the extra weight we tend to have problems with the Power Steering alot. We just had another truck come in with a blown pump. Between the added weight and all the components that are run off the pump ( steering, brakes, fan clutch, rear winch, diff cooler). They also go through springs and shocks like crazy. I have seen trucks going down the road and the tires look like they are at a 45deg. angle.
I spent some time at the Army proviing grounds in Yuma over the last 13 months. At a gross weight of 15,400 pounds the vehicles really do squat. I was working with the Rapid Equiping Force, TACOM and AM General to design a jack that would work on the HMMWV no matter what. I was talking to the engineers at AM General last week and now they are designing changes to the suspension that can be retrofitted in the field. They
are trying to raise the gross weight to 20,000 lbs. We did design a jack that worked. You can see some of the Yuma photos at www.hmmwvjack.com. Richard B.

ElkyRacer

Re: RE: Re: RE: Some More Gun Truck Pics

Bogi said:
nate_o23 said:
I spent some time at the Army proviing grounds in Yuma over the last 13 months. At a gross weight of 15,400 pounds the vehicles really do squat. I was working with the Rapid Equiping Force, TACOM and AM General to design a jack that would work on the HMMWV no matter what. I was talking to the engineers at AM General last week and now they are designing changes to the suspension that can be retrofitted in the field. They
are trying to raise the gross weight to 20,000 lbs. We did design a jack that worked. You can see some of the Yuma photos at www.hmmwvjack.com. Richard B.
Good lord, when are they going to start doing some frame re-enforcements? They arent holding up to what they weigh now!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks