• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Little Rock

jasonjc

OK who's in Little Rock??? How are things going??? Myself and Rumplcat are heading out in the AM. Hope to see some of you all there. Boy whish I had a SS hat or tshirt :(

YES YES YES I will take pic and post. So don't give me the
nopics

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: Little Rock MVPA Convention 2007 event discussions

ok, shifted gears from:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....0&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

The lines for registration onsite were short and the hosts were well organized. The convention center has good air conditioning and the smokers can slip out back. Hamburgers were $4.50 and of fair quaity (mine had obviously been sitting around a bit and it took some work to get it apart to insert the fixins), but the 'fixins' were accessible, allowing one to covertly construct a little tomato and lettuce 'salad' to hep recover on the cost of the burgers.

Many of our favorite vendors were present, including Wallace Wade, RAPCO, TNJ Murray, etc. (not intentionally leaving anyone out). Individual sellers were all nice and friendly and some wore well done uniforms. The Arkansas MVPA chapter were very gracious and well-organized hosts. A local (Fayetteville AR) shipping company, Airways Freight, was present to offer shipping anything from a fuel filter to an M35. Jerome Casey, special accounts manager/tradeshow division, is an MVPA member. This kind of participation is always comforting.

Apparently I am infamous, having several folks ask me about the M35 road trip last year, so see, people DO read this board. I met a fellow named Lewis Anderson. His M35 is equipped with spin-on fuel filters.
Primary filter base: AC Delco 6438957, filter NAPA 3118
Secondary filter base: AC Delco 6438958, filter NAPA 3120 (single secondary filter arrangement)
The conversation about aftermarket filters etc. turned also to the oil filters. I took the opportunity to discuss the BBS with Lewis and several other people, focusing on the technical discussions and helpfulness of our own membership (as to the oil filter mods, I gave equal billing to all the kinds here, so it's even-steven, ok?).

A couple people asked if the famous Bjorn was coming. I ran into a guy I met at the Dallas event (02?) that has a real nice Mule which is displayed stacked high with supplies but I am terrible with names.

Among the many, many parts and equipment were everything from light bulbs and transmission cases to VRC-12 radios and a set of CCKW axles and transfer. Only pictures can show it all (Pease everyone post up some of your finds).

Hopeful of a military radio contact on 51.0 MHz, I took my MOLLE and threw the Racal TRA-967 in, and istened.. Got to talk with one fellow that had a ham rig, and a couple of PRC-68's out there on the foor. The guy was interested to engage in this fun experiment. (dang it bad with names again, but he is from Louisiana)

all for now.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
images.. my cam is offline due to charger not working, but I got about 240 pics of the vendors stuff before the last battery died.. was working my way across the hall towards the vehicles but didn't make it.. so please take lots o'image of the vehicles!

Attachments

lstmate

I am here!!!

Please stop by E 16 an 17 the 2009 MVPA convention and LST 325 tables. I would love to meet any SS people that are here. I may be out meeting people so if you should see me plase stop me. I also have wife and 2 granddaughters helping. The grandkids today were passing out brochures to anyone they could today so if they did not get you today chances are they will tomorrow..

Hope to meet you if you are here.

Garry

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: I am here!!!

I'll be in in the moring, try to visit y'all, and then it's to the general meeting, and then pick up my purchases and head back to beeg dee.. Ran into quite a few folks from our virtual space here. I probably have pics of the mounts, but fell asleep last night posting pics!!

At this point I would ike to ask permission from those who have taken pictures of MV's at the show, to use the pics on www.bunkerofdoom.com my personal site, along with the 200+ pics of the vendors stuff I was able to take, as part of my trip report. There is no commercial interest and i'm wiling to attribute/crosslink.I ask because I was unable to take any pics of MV's, especially the LAV which I enjoyed sitting in the drivers seat of..

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: I am here!!!

Met Rumplecat and Jasonc there.

The session on the proposed 90th anniversary transcontinental MV convoy on the Lincoln Highway was quite good, got off to a good start. The MVPA leadership is behind it, but it will be up to the interested parties to form a core steering group to organize al aspects of the event. I'm all for this, (from WASH DC to SAN FRAN) although i certainly can't participate in the whole thing due to start and end points.A suggestion to do the 2009 trip will be put forth at the general meeting tomorrow and is expected to receive hearty support.

I'll attend the general meeting tomorrow to support the 2009 proposal, and although it is sure to be charged with controversy for another reason, this thread is not the place for that discussion please, as there is already a thread on it elsewhere on this BBS. Let's keep this thread to the show/hobby and not include politics here.

//////

Acquisitions included a pair of PRC-68's from Mr. Thibodeaux (sp?) of Louisiana, along with a few manuals and electronics equipment guides. The PRC-68 is a much smaller and handier radio than the PRC-77 and runs on a 14.5V lithium or mercury battery, easily replaced with adapters from prc68.com or make your own. The 68 however has only 1 watt (330 yards to 1 mile) and uses DIP switches to set the frequency on CH1, and the other channels are spaced upward from there. the unit can use a little rubber duckie or a PRC-77 'tape' antenna.

Two Arkansas MVPA t-shirts, they did have 3X, 4X, and 5X. Free refrigerator magnets and "little rocks". BTW the AR MVPA chapter was gracious and let me stash my goods behind their table in a corner.

A large PAR lamp and fixture, will be part of the backup lamps project.

For VIC-1 users, I found several "long" cables for the headset-to-crew box segment, seems they are about 6FT long coily cords instead of 2-3Ft long ones. I'm going to try them out as the setup in my truck has them a bit too short.

TC-24-19 radio operators handbook, and some kind of little boxes that apparently interfaces witha VRC-12 radio set to make it full duplex (3 new in boxes), also a couple of power junction boxes.

////

The Friday Night dinner included fried fish, fried boneess chicken, and beef or pork in its own juices. Also cole saw and potato salad, and spicy fries. Cake. Tea lemonade, coffee, water.. cookies. It was a buffet like serving tables so that is why there was a slow line. On the bus ride to the union station where the dinner was, we passed a bunch of winos who looked very disreputable but it was OK because we did not stop. Once there, we were met with some people that were leaving because they said the line was 45 minutes long and there were only outdoor tables left (muggy, hot..) but I stayed anyway and after about 30 minuted got to the buffet. I found a seat inside by luck, as the place was really at capacity. I think it was the best compromise to achieve a nice and historic setting vs. loading. I did sort of complain about a 30-minute line to get food and also that the only seating left seemed to be outdoors. There was a cash bar there that had started hours earleier apparently, and by the place being so packed I can only believe that the MVPA is also a drinking club as well as an od car club.

After the dinner, there was a live auction. I am not quite sure but I think the auctioneer was the Mayor. I think that is what I heard. In any case, it began to pour rain, and everyone came inside. Then the auction was beginning. Here is a list of things sold:

WWII bayonet, unknown, markings on blade at hilt (below, any ideas?) $25
F.G.
G.R.

three new air filters, NSN 2940--01-065-8396,
type ARM-127,
Air Refiner part # 10048
contract # SP0750-00-M-0255 (not sure what for) $5
(could they be 30-10048 BMW 3 Series 80-85 L4, L6; 5 Series 77-87 L6; 6 Series 77-89 L6; 7 Series 78-87 L6, V12; M3 88-91 L4) ??
this thing is about 8-9" diameter and 20" long cylindrical with an end cap and is held on by a wingnut. I bought these.. anyone know what they are for?

army cot, aluminum type $70

A bag of money, something ike $800, I didn't understand this, apparenty tickets were sod for a chance at this and the it got auctioned off, perhaps as a donation. nothing 'wrong', I just did not understand what was being done.

A wad of money, a rol of cash, of an undisclosed amount >250, was auctioned off. I did not understand, perhaps like all these items, they were donations because it was all fund raising.

M151 steering wheel $55

Mail Call Gunny bobblehead, CDROM/DVD, book, and autographed pictures $160

war bonds jeep poster $25

Framed collage of Ohio MVPA convention pictures $170

M16 rifle mount for M35 $20

childs' toy electric harley motorcycle kiddy car $85

medic bag recent type, $25

GPW steering wheel $50

M37/M38 BO light $20

M37 bed mount spare tire carrier $42.50

"unless you are in the nude" magnetic sign $10

bear with flag $27.50

60mm mortar sling $5

new m series 6000RPm tach $20

push pull headlight switch $55

halftrack rear electrical harness$45

WWII khakis, a pile of about 20, $60

WWII style jeep toy $25

WWII first aid kit with original kinds of ingredients $?

vietnal sniper print limited edition $130

10prs. of work gloves $7

10PCS safety glasses $15

Attachments

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pics comment! Later I will post all 200+ of them on the bunker of doom, anyone can take them for reference if they wish.

I believe he was asking for $1200. It appeared to have all the cables and accoutrements including two RTTY modems. In the end, I was unable to rise early enough to get around to seeing anyone, except to load the goods I bought and then goto the general membership meeting. Then I had to go back to Dallas.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks