• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

German unit markings

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys after a whole lot of looking on the net and coming up with nothing good its time that I ask for some assistance, I am looking for stencils for a German Military truck, I have found tons of sticker examples etc. but what I am looking for is a Rick Larsen Stencils but from someplace that does them for German vehicles? Do you guys have any ideas?
thanks much
Karl

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Karl, Did you ask Rick? His stuff worked awesome for me, and I will not hesitate to order my stuff through him, pretty much forever. He did some custom massaging of mine to make sure it fit my vehicle/purpose and I didn't even think of it.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bikeman I totally agree with you Rick's stuff is terrific I have used his products on every truck I own BUT he does not do German markings, and I asked in fact he was the first person I went to! Do you have any other ideas?
Thanks
KK

stb64

German markings are very similar to US markings. Until the mid´70s they were very much the same, but the german army kept using semi gloss OD and white markings when the US Army switched to merdc camo paint, and black markings in 1975.
In 1985 both the german and US army adopted the same 3 color camo pattern.
There are not too many markings on a unimog: unit symbol front and rear, mlc number on front and on the right door, tire pressure above each wheel. In addidition to that, all grease fittings, and oil filler and drain plugs are painted red. Radiator filler cap and drain cock are sometimes painted white. Castellated nuts on steering and axles are often painted chrome yellow.
The unit marking is a white (light gray on camo) rectangle with a NATO tactical symbol in the center and the company number on the left, and the battalion number on the right (there are other combinations for different size units).

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
stb64 my truck has all the red and other colored parts your describing, it is actually rather handy for helping to identify at least all the drain plugs on the tranny Diffs, etc. I Thanks you very much for you input on this subject, you are by far the most knowledgeable person I have found yet concerning this, Then I noticed your from Germany and probably served in the military I would guess? Thanks you much once again for your very valuable help in my quest stb64, it is very appreciated!
Karl

stb64

I am in the US army at JMRC Hohenfels (Google it), but i was in the german army 1983- 1987 as a tank driver. This was when the german army switched from OD green and white markings, to 3color camo and light gray markings. My tank was sent to depot overhaul and was the last one returning painted OD green as it was before. The next tank that returned from depot overhaul was painted bronze green, but without the other 2 colors black and brown. The next tank then, and all others afterwards, returned from depot painted 3 color camo. This was in 1984 or 85. During this time we were ordered to paint all markings light gray, regardless of vehicle base color. The yellow MLC disk was to be painted black with light gray number.
The german army uses american made stencil machines ( i have mine from a vebeg auction), and metal stencil sets that are slightly different from the common american interlocking brass stencil sets.
I am absolutely no expert when it comes to bundeswehr stuff, but i have several friends collecting german military vehicles.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stb64 Like I said above you seem to know your stuff, I appreciate you sharing some of it with me especially the colors, I found a place in Germany where I can order stencils then paint them myself, at least now I know the correct color! Stay safe and thanks again for your assistance stb64.

Karl

goat whisperer

Hi Karl, u are looking for stencils that normally sticks on a 1300 L ?
Do u have any information about the corps where ur Unimog comes from?
That would be the most important stencil and I can provide it to u.
Also small sticker for the wheel pressure. That´s nearly all that normally sticks on a truck of the German Bundeswehr...
2472164.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks