• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

700r4 into a 1008

84cucv1ton

400 blew up. had a 88 700r4 from a 88k5. we bolted it all up with no problems. 700 is what he had so we put it in. right now its his only truck. we put a external cooler with a fan and a temperature gauge. anything else we can do to keep it alive? thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you install the diesel version of the TV (throttle valve) cable and bracket. Without it installed and adjusted correctly the 700r4 will not live long. Also di you use a diesel torque converter and governor?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll need to install something to lock the torque converter. The 700R4 will not like to drive for any amount of time in OD without the converter locked. While you are at it, you might want to make provisions to manually lock it in 3rd gear if you plan on using 3rd for any length of time vs. OD.

You can look at my sig line, there is a link to the R4 swap I did in my 1031.

cliffyp

+1 on manual control of lockup. You can get auto lockup with a 4th gear pressure switch. Toggle switch on the dash to select between auto 4th gear lock and manual lock for other gears if needed.

84cucv1ton

thanks, working on getting his truck back up here. i guess the tranny had problems. its already dead. ill take a look at the link

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear it's already dead. If he decided to run it any length of time without the converter locked, that could be what killed it. Even with the cooler, those trannys don't like being unlocked.

84cucv1ton

Few questions. Never rebuilt a overdrive transmission before. He doesn't have the money right now to pay for a rebuilt one. So I was thinking maybe we can rebuild it ourselves. An old friend gave me a 700r4. He said it from the early 80s. From reading on the net not too sure that's the best one to use however he did say it's a good transmission. Maybe for the time and money involved should just get the turbo 400 rebuilt. I'll talk to him see what he says. I'm not sure what do thanks for the help

cliffyp

'87 and newer are the more desirable ones. I believe '92 was the last year they were made before going electronic. Check out the U-Pull-It type yards. You can usually find a good rebuildable core pretty cheap.

If you do go the 700r4 route, use a pressure gauge to set the TV cable. Improper adjustment can fry a 700r4 in a matter of minutes. This may have been the source of your tran's early demise.

84cucv1ton

After reading this thread is about 700r4
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...t-Road-Oiler-quot-gets-overdrive-(700R4-Swap)

Decided this would be worthwhile for me to do. I have an and 1028 I have been using everyday. Like the fact that you do highway speeds. I drive pretty slow though rather have more mpg. I came across what's left of an 87 Chevy Blazer. I was able to drive this around. Shifted fine. 110k on it. $400 for the complete swap everything I would need to do it. Drive shafts as well. Going to sell those. I tow trailers with this truck. Will have a four-inch lift soon 35 or 37 inch tires. Depends on what I get a deal on. The only other thing I might do down the road is put a turbo on. 700r4 should handle this no problem correct? I would not tell in overdrive. Doesn't seem like a good idea. What do you guys think? Thanks

acesneights1

After reading this thread is about 700r4
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...t-Road-Oiler-quot-gets-overdrive-(700R4-Swap)

Decided this would be worthwhile for me to do. I have an and 1028 I have been using everyday. Like the fact that you do highway speeds. I drive pretty slow though rather have more mpg. I came across what's left of an 87 Chevy Blazer. I was able to drive this around. Shifted fine. 110k on it. $400 for the complete swap everything I would need to do it. Drive shafts as well. Going to sell those. I tow trailers with this truck. Will have a four-inch lift soon 35 or 37 inch tires. Depends on what I get a deal on. The only other thing I might do down the road is put a turbo on. 700r4 should handle this no problem correct? I would not tell in overdrive. Doesn't seem like a good idea. What do you guys think? Thanks
700's are weak, especially the earlier generations. If I was **** bent on an auto with OD I think I'd spend the money for a 4l80 and a controller but me personally, Did an NV4500 swap and never looked back. It was bolt in, super reliable, andfun to drive. It really is the way these trucks should have come. I would not waste the time or money on a 700 unless you plan on using it for a grocery getter. I had a pile of blown up ones over the years. The tranny shops made a killing doing TH350 swaps back in the late 80's getting rid of these things although better hard parts are avaialble now.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
700's are weak, especially the earlier generations. If I was **** bent on an auto with OD I think I'd spend the money for a 4l80 and a controller but me personally, Did an NV4500 swap and never looked back. It was bolt in, super reliable, andfun to drive. It really is the way these trucks should have come. I would not waste the time or money on a 700 unless you plan on using it for a grocery getter. I had a pile of blown up ones over the years. The tranny shops made a killing doing TH350 swaps back in the late 80's getting rid of these things although better hard parts are avaialble now.
The quote in red is factually inaccurate today. Was true in the 80s though. 700s can be built to handle 450hp and 450#ft torque at a decent price and in excess of 1000HP if you so decide. The 3.06 first gear is a much better choice for the anemic 6.2 or even a turbo 6.5. The .70 OD is also a better choice for the low geared CUCV. If money is a factor, the 700 is a better bargain. If money isn't a factor, the 700 is a better choice.
References cited;
http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog_inc/viewitem.php?ITEMID=502
http://www.700raptor.com/

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I couldn't agree more Kenny.

If you keep it cool, via extra cooling with an aftermarket transmission cooler. Don't run it in anything but 3rd when you are towing or hauling heavy loads and make sure you have the means to manually lock up the converter in 3rd for these instances, I feel you will be good to go and get many happy years of sevice out of a properly rebuild 700R4.

84cucv1ton

Thanks for the help guys. I didn't move fast enough I lost that blazer with the 700. That really sucked. I drove that truck. I looked at a few other options 4l80e or a nv4500. Expensive option though. So back to square one. Looking for a blazer or truck with the 700. No luck at all trying to find the 700 cable bracket for the 6.2. Anybody has one please send me a PM. This weekend project is going to be the spin on fuel filter. The model 80 is sucking in a lot of air

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks