• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MVPA BOD Elections

rod

Guys, I just got off of the phone with a friend who is returning home after the Little Rock Convention and this person was bringing me up to speed on the meetings that happened in Little Rock.

This friend is saying that there are positive signs that the tide is slowly turning on the existing BODs who try to run the MVPA.

Apparently Randy Whitrow and Garick Smith will not be allowed to run for the MVPA BOD. The Election committee has allowed 8 names to be placed on the ballot. I understand from my friend that there was a meeting after the General Membership meeting where those interested in changes have come up with the 4 candidates that all of us here on the Steel Soliders need to consider supporting. There will be more info on these 4 candidates in the next few days or so.

Additionally, we believe the BOD may try to pull another new rule to attempt to influence the elections. I understand that the BOD is considering a "Record Date" for this year’s election. This means that as of a certain date, if you were on the MVPA Membership Roll, you would be allowed to vote. I'm hearing that the Record Date will be the date that the Supply Line is mailed out around the end of July. If this is true, then those of you who have let your membership expire need to think about re-upping for another year. If you re-up your membership do it now.

Things are changing and we just need to remember that changes takes time. As a sign of change to come, consider the following:

-Charles Varner, who is now the VP, is not running for re-election, so he is gone from the BOD.

-Al Nickolson who is now the President, will probably not be re-elected President so he will not be as much of an influence.

-Lee Holland is not running for re-election, so he is gone from the BOD.

-Art Pope is not running for re-election, so he is gone from the BOD.

-Linda Haas is not running for re-election, so she is gone from the BOD.

The only way these folks can get back on the BOD is if they are appointed and given voting rights. This is where you and I can help. We can make sure that we are members of the MVPA and vote for the recommended slate of the 4 endorsed candidates. In an attempt to help the MVPA BOD election outcome, I am considering talking to my wife and my 2 adult children to see if they want to become MVPA members. If so, I will gladly sign them up and pay the dues to allow them to become an annual member. Sure this will cost me $35 for each of their memberships but I believe they will ask for my input when they fill out the Election Ballot. If enough of us would consider this action them we can make a positive outcome in the election.

Changes will come to the BOD and the MVPA will one day be run by the Members and not by BODs who have their own agenda. Changes take time - The question is "What are you doing to change the MVPA ??"

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the report and the good detail including names, etc. I hope it all can be worked out and I agree (with your implication) that it will take some level of activity from many more members than usually care to participate in the inner workings. The foundation of the MVPA is apparently still solid and in good condition. Although the MVPA has been around for a long time, like a vintage military radio set, a complete realignment would not hurt. Many people have a dislike for being involved in politics, including myself, but it is clear from the very experience of the meeting that all of the members have to pay at least a little bit more attention to what is going on and at least lend their support to initiatives which can both reverse the antagonistic trend and improve the way business is handled. I didn't see any ogres at the head table, but I did see a board that was divided and gagged and has gone astray to a degree. My question, and perhaps the question from many folks, might be "What do you want me to do to change the MVPA and why is it a good idea?" -- not asked to you in particular, but of anyone who has what they believe is a good idea.

lstmate

Just a suggestion

Just a suggestion here or at least my $.02 worth.

Before suggesting changes might want to think about contacting the ladies at HQ and see if the suggestion is workable. After all several of them have been there for awhile and understand what works and what may not. Not that they are total experts but before suggesting changes be sure you have as much information as possible to make informed suggestions. I do understand that they are employees of the MVPA but they can be a very good source of information.

As the 2009 convention chairman all of this has been a real concern to me. There were several suggestions made on ways to increase revenue and I received board backing to follow through on one of those suggestions.

I am willing to stay involved so that we can improve this association and hope that others will stay involved and not give up and let what I consider a very good and worthwhile organization die.

Garry

2009 MVPA convention chairman

P.S. Everyone is invited to attend the 09 convention in Evansville, IN.

rod

Garry,

With all due respect, I have personnaly found that most employes at the MVPA HQ to be "part" of the problem. They are afraid to stand up and go against the BOD. The answers you receive are very slanted toward the wishes of the BOD.

milstencil

As Rod said,
AND, one of them is on my VERY, VERY short list that should be replaced :!:
In fact, the only one that should be replaced.
Rick

butch atkins

BOD POLICIES,GLAD TO HEAR THEY TOOK IT UP THE A#!

have always been an opponent of the way the mvpa has been run,iIT IS ACLUB FOR THE MEMBERS ,NOT FOR THE PERSONAL ENRICHMENT OF A SELECT FEW,WHO BEND THE RULES TO SUIT THEIR OWN EGOTISTICAL ASSANINE POLITICAL AGENDAS,IN A VAIN ATTEMPT TO CONTROL WHAT THEY VIEW AS THEIR OWN WAY TO CONTROL THE REST OF THE CLUB MEMBERS AND INFLUENCE POLICY SO THAT THEY CAN REMAIN IN POWER, ok off the soapbox,glad to hear that club members have realised that we can stop their brand of bs,i have always voted and will continue to do so AND KEEP MY MEMBERSHIP SO THAT I DO HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE FOR WHO I WANT TO ,NOT THE SAME OLD CONTROL FREAKS THAT ARE STILL TRYING TO CONTROL THE REST OF THE MEMBERS,I URGE ALL TO KEEP THEIR MEMBERSHIP SO YOU CAN VOTE ,AND PLEASE VOTE ,THIS CLUB BELONGS TO THE LITTLE GUYS (THATS US FOLKS), thanks for the report,and hope we can resolve these issues and move forward

lstmate

I understand your concerns about HQ staff....

Rod and others, I do understand your concerns about the HQ staff but..........

I have seen numerous suggestions on this web site to research everything before taking any actions and that was all I was suggesting use them as a source of information. If you think their response will be slanted toward the BOD views then use the information from them with that in mind but to not even ask them could be eliminating a source of information that could be helpful.

I hope this is not upsetting anyone but I am only trying to clearify my previous post not to start a fight in here.

Garry

CGarbee

RE: I understand your concerns about HQ staff....

-Charles Varner, who is now the VP, is not running for re-election, so he is gone from the BOD.
-Al Nickolson who is now the President, will probably not be re-elected President so he will not be as much of an influence.
-Lee Holland is not running for re-election, so he is gone from the BOD.
-Art Pope is not running for re-election, so he is gone from the BOD.
-Linda Haas is not running for re-election, so she is gone from the BOD.

So, how many of these folks are going to be appointed to some position where they will have just as much influence (or more) and will not be subject to any sort of oversight by the membership since the positions they will be in will not be elected ones??

Heck, a this point, I just want to see unabridged minutes from the BOD meetings and a consolidated financial statement each year...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks