• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

454 for power in an '85 m1009

TURBOFIRE

I bought a roached out '85 blazer. The diesel has been converted to 12v or so I was told. The starter is bad and reverse is out of the 400 THM. Now, before you roast me for wanting to turn this into a gasser, understand I know nothing about diesel engines and to be frank, I'm okay with leaving it that way. I also am in possession of a '80, 454 out of an RV with only 60K miles on it. So, the 454 is paid for, in good running condition and should bolt right in. My question come in regards to the wiring. Should I find a 1/2 ton, 2WD donor for the wiring harness or will the wiring currently in the blazer work? Also, will the 3 hose power steering pump on the diesel mount to the 454 will little to no work? It would also appear at first glance the dual exhaust will bolt to the 454 manifolds and look to be at the correct angle to do so. Maybe not though. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

truck1

My advice to you is, SEARCH this site regarding this subject. Not being a wisea*# , but this will help you make a calculated decision . Personally, I'd keep the 6.2 if it is a proven runner. The m1009 with it's gearing makes the 6.2 a highway truck. My 1028 with Gear Vendor is my go anywhere SLOW good mileage rig. Scratches , dirt , doesn't matter . My Ram Cummings is my serious tow rig go anywhere FAST rig. Keep the diesel, they are easy to work on once you learn the operating systems. I'll never buy a gasser truck again.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say do it. You are comfortable with gas engines vs diesel. As a kid I did a lot of swaps of engines and transmissions but nothing 4x4. Get the 454 breathing good and you'll have quite a bit of power.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say do it. You are comfortable with gas engines vs diesel. As a kid I did a lot of swaps of engines and transmissions but nothing 4x4. Get the 454 breathing good and you'll have quite a bit of power.
I bet it gets enough power to break stock axles.

TURBOFIRE

454 gets 8 MPG. 6.2 gets 20. Does this help with the decision making process?
I appreciate your comments, but weather I keep the diesel or not, is not in question. The 454 will not be heavily modified. It is a 245 horse plant and something like 300 ft. lbs. of torque with peanut port heads, etc. Also, this is a toy. It is not going to be an everyday driver, but a fishing and camping rig. I personally think it will get better than 8 mpg, but who knows. Will the 454 snap axles? I don't think so. I've put BBC in at least 3, 1/2 ton civilian trucks and never snapped an axle.

Last edited:

evldoer

I would say that the power steering pump will bolt to the BBC as long as it had a long water pump on it. As for the wiring harness, I would use what you have. If truck has been converted to 12 volt then the starter part of the wiring is done. The BBC has the starter in same spot as the diesel so you will not need to extend the wires there. The power wire for the injection pump can be used to supply power for the HEI distributor. You will need to run a wire from fuse panel for the electric choke and it will need to be hot only when key is in run position. Wires for the alternator should be fine the way they are.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks