• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilt Engine still in 'barrel'

acetomatoco

RE: Rebuilt Engine still in

Looks to me like most of the bolts are taken out of the flanges and that it has been opened.. Typically you find the used engine in the can... The one which was replaced by the rebuilt one 20 years ago... be sure you open the can before you hand the money over....If it is the real thing, most folks would give $1000...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
RE: Rebuilt Engine still in

I'd look in the cylinders with a borescope or something to make sure the rings aren't rusted solid to the walls before I bought that, unless you paid a core price for it.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
These things were designed to be sealed, and pressurized with a gas - nitrogen I think. And periodically inspected. If the pressure gauge is not indicating is pressurized, and based on the missing bolts, its probably not, then these cans can sweat on the inside - leaving the engine a rusty block of steel.

Regards,
David Doyle

CGarbee

I have a military rebuilt engine in the can in the back yard.... I'll have to post a few photos of what the engine looked like when the can was opened. Does the phrase "boat anchor" strike a bell?? Fozen solid, and in such shape that I just picked things like the clutch, oil pump, water pump, ect off it and have the rest in the back of the M817 with some other scrap headed for processor next week...

At best, I'd consider it a rebuildable core (if it looked ok after taking the cover off the can) due to the time in storage and the changes in such things as gas formulations that would want you to swap out the diapharm in the fuel pump, etc.

Good luck.

MilitaryRestoration

The only reason why it's got missing bolts and not sealed anymore is because he took them out to show me the actual engine. Everything looks great and still in paper and cosmaline packaging. Here is another picture.... let me know again :) Thank You for all info so far though...

Attachments

bugei

that is so purty, i think you should buy it and put it in your front room. don't let it get dirty. i once bought a set of roller rockers for a truck that were blue aluminum, i almost bought a second set to mount on the wall.

MilitaryRestoration

Well after all said and done I got it for little over 2000.00. Little more than wanted but then again I dont have to pay for any shipping since it's near me so guess I'm saving there. Would hate to see freight cost on an engine with fuel prices as they are in Washington State. Figure if anything else I could always just resell it at the National Show coming up August 2008 in Portland.

"that is so purty, i think you should buy it and put it in your front room. don't let it get dirty. i once bought a set of roller rockers for a truck that were blue aluminum, i almost bought a second set to mount on the wall."

Bugei-Funny that you say that...I once dealt with a guy and when I walked into his house he was using a M37 crate motor and crate of course as the base for his dining room table. hahaha He figured it was the safest of anywhere. lol What we all do for a lil' "OD":)

citizensoldier

You did well for 2K.. I am rebuilding a 230 right now and will have almost that in parts and machining. This is not including a carb,gen,starter,and everything else on that engine.
It would make a good display in a museum somewhere too.. Didnt think there was anything like that left around. Its a good find and good price. Post pics when you put it in a truck..

MilitaryRestoration

Wow... glad that I jumped on it. Father and I are thinking about just putting it on display but would be nice to give the 53' a new heart too...Will see. I'll take pictures either way and post them next week. Thanks everyone!

MilitaryRestoration

Here are the pics from getting the motor. Guy had all sorts of parts he gave me for M37 and along with whatever else I wanted from his old parts truck. Enjoy guys....

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks